Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University SMU residence application 2024 – SMU accommodation application 2024
How to apply for residence at SMU Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University: Accommodation and Fees
The university can help you access a range of long and short term housing opportunities to suit different budgets. Some of your options include private rentals, student hostels, residential colleges, student apartments, and homestays.
SMU’s accommodation website is a good place to access all sorts of information about accommodation options. This is your next stop when you’ve finished reading this page!
You will be able to:
- Explore different housing options
- Find long term accommodation
- Browse our rental database
- and more!
JOIN THE SOUTH AFRICA ALL UNIVERSITIES COMMUNTY ON WHATSAP GROUP 👉 JOIN NOW
Apply to Residence
Once you have been accepted to Saint Mary’s and accepted your offer of admission to the University by paying the deposit via the application portal, you can activate your SMU ID and apply for residence via SMUport and the Housing Portal.
If you have not fully accepted your offer of admission, you will need to submit your confirmation deposit through the application portal. (Your admission deposit reserves your spot at the university and allows you to apply for residence, register for courses when registration opens for the term, etc.). Once the deposit has been paid, you then will need to follow the steps using the following link Acceptance Pack | Acceptance Pack | Saint Mary’s University (smu.ca). (Please note that it will take 1 – 2 business days after the offer of admissions has been accepted before you will gain full access to your SMU ID permissions.)
If you have already accepted the university’s offer and paid the $200 confirmation deposit your SMU ID should be activated. To log into SMUport, you will need to use your s# and password, however, once you get to the Housing Portal you will need to enter your SMU email and password (this is the same as your s# password). If you are still experiencing log in issues, please contact our EIT department at email@example.com.
Follow these steps to activate your SMU ID:
- Visit our Account Activation page.
- Enter your “A” number (located in your acceptance letter) and password.
- Click “Activate” to get your “S” number and SMU email.
- Log on to SMUport and the the Housing Portal.
- Pay your residence application fee via credit card, create a student profile, and select your residence preferences.
- Pay your residence confirmation deposit via credit card (and submit your Residence Agreement) to ensure your residence bedspace is reserved.
If you have questions or need more information about applying for residence, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
It can be a bit challenging to find accommodation as a SMU student, since things may work quite differently here than in your home country. You don’t have to worry! You can count on us for assistance.
How to apply for residence at SMU Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
If you’re interested in applying for residence at the Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Check if you’re eligible: Before you start your application, make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria for SMU’s residences. Typically, applicants need to be registered students with the university, and they must have paid their fees in full.
- Choose a residence: it offers several residence options, including apartments, flats, and single and double rooms. Check the SMU website for a list of residences and their locations, as well as their amenities and costs.
- Apply online: Once you’ve chosen a residence, you can apply online by visiting the website and selecting “Residences” from the main menu. Follow the prompts to complete your application and submit any required documents, such as proof of registration and payment.
- Wait for a response: After submitting your application, you’ll need to wait for a response from university. Depending on the availability of space in your preferred residence, you may be offered a place immediately, or you may be placed on a waiting list.
- Accept the offer: If you’re offered a place in a University residence, you’ll need to accept the offer and pay any required fees or deposits. Make sure to read the terms and conditions carefully before accepting the offer.
- Move in: Once you’ve accepted the offer and paid any fees, you’ll be able to move into your SMU residence. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations of your residence, and enjoy your new home!
NSFAS accredited accommodation for SMU students
Applications must be submitted via the NSFAS website: https://my.nsfas.org.za/
Your NSFAS application will not be considered if you
- received NSFAS funding in 2023*.
- have already completed an undergraduate degree or diploma.
- are not a South African citizen.
- need funding for a Short Learning Certificate or Programme or a postgraduate qualification.
*Students who have completed a higher certificate and will be starting a degree/diploma qualification in 2024 must re-apply for NSFAS funding.
Please visit the SMU registration website for the registration dates:
- Returning NSFAS students who were funded in 2023 but have not yet completed their qualification: Please ensure that you are temporarily registered during the registration period while waiting for NSFAS funding confirmation for the 2024 academic year.
- Returning NSFAS students who received funding in 2023, have been declined for funding in 2024 but have appealed the decision: Please pay the minimum registration fee while you wait for the NSFAS appeal decision, if you chose to do so.
- First-time NSFAS applicants: Please ensure that you are temporarily registered during the registration period while waiting for NSFAS funding confirmation. If your NSFAS application is declined or delayed by the time the registration period closes, you will be expected to find alternative funding before your registration will be activated.
If your NSFAS application is provisionally approved, you do not need to pay the minimum registration fee. Your registration will be automatically activated based on NSFAS funding confirmation received by SMU.
Appeals for new and continuing students will be open from 20 January 2024 to 20 February 2024.
All students are required to appeal directly to NSFAS via the myNSFAS portal.
Visit www.nsfas.org.za for appeal supporting documents.
- All NSFAS-funded students who pay the minimum registration amount to activate their registration will be refunded.
- A refund will only be processed once NSFAS has confirmed successful processing of registration data to SMU.
- An application for a refund is not necessary.
NSFAS bursaries (Funza Lushaka, Department of Military Veterans, and Department of Justice [TRC])
- Students funded under these bursaries must renew their funding with their funders during their applicable application dates.
- Students are encouraged to visit their funders’ webpages for application dates.
Funza Lushaka: www.funzalushaka.doe.gov.za Department of Military Veterans (DMV): www.dmv.gov.za
Department of Justice (TRC): www.justice.gov.za