Job Title: WISH Program Manager
Location: Head Office, Dar Es Salaam
Reports to: Head of Programs
Subordinates: Field Officers
Chama cha Uzazi na Malezi Bora Tanzania (UMATI) established in 1959, is an autonomous voluntary National NGO originally incorporated under CAP 337 in 1973, it was established under non-governmental organization act No 24 of 2002 in 2019 with registration number 00NGO/R2/000231. It is a full Member Association (MA) of the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF).
UMATI works in partnership with the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Women and Special Groups and Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG) with a goal of providing Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) education, information and services in Tanzania. The Assosciation has a long leadership history in SRH Programmes in Tanzania including pioneering in Family Planning (FP) services, SRHR Programmes for young people, integrated Clinics and Community based service delivery approaches.
UMATI wishes to recruit qualified and experienced candidates to fill in the following vacant position;
WISH Program Manager
The WISH Program Manager is responsible for providing technical leadership and support across the WISH Program in Tanzania, ensuring the achievement of WISH project service delivery projections in line with evidence-based best-practice, rights-based programming, and clinical quality standards.
The Program Manager will liaise with the MA team, and work closely with the IPPF WISH2ACTION team to build local capacity at the cluster level to improve access to integrated quality family planning and Sexual and Reproductive Health Services in Tanzania.
Project Planning and Management
- Work with the WISH project team to develop and actively track project work plans.
- Closely monitor overall program quality and performance in terms of data measurement, spending rate on budgets, staffing, and on-time delivery of reports and other products.
- Identifies and builds strategic networks with other actors to support the region in the implementation and monitoring of gender-responsive and adolescent-friendly sexual reproductive health quality improvement initiatives in line with the national government policy.
- Provision of SRH technical and programmatic guidance on the implementation of SRH project activities as per the national SRH guidelines and strategies.
- Actively monitors the project implementation through field visits, coordinating monthly project meetings, to jointly assess project progress, identify bottlenecks and potential risks and work for timely decisions with the Head of Programmes to resolve issues.
- Working to build the capacity of the Local Government Authorities staff on effective supportive supervision including identifying effective approaches and techniques for scaling up project best practices for sustainability after project closure.
- Work with the WISH Program Director to support the formation of clusters, and Cluster Management Committees (CMCs).
- Work with and support CMCs and DMCs to maintain strong oversight of service delivery in cluster sites and develop outreach plans to enable the achievement of service delivery projections.
- Provide technical support to the cluster teams to use data generated through the project to ensure adaptive programming in order to meet service delivery projections.
- Ensure that effective referral systems are in place within clusters.
- Work with M&E Manager in designing and developing, monitoring, and reporting
tools for implementation in tracking the progress of the project deliverables.
- Ensure quality of care by coordinating the collection of regular quality assessments
(6 monthly) using project tools across all cluster sites in coordination with the M&E
- Ensure the development and implementation of quality-of-care improvement work
plans across project sites with the aim of ensuring quality improvements in cluster
sites across the project lifetime.
- Oversee clinical governance and adverse events reporting across WISH cluster sites.
- Ensuring timely implementation and reporting according to the work plan.
- Prepare and submit monthly and quarterly project reports (both financial and
narrative) according to UMATI and the donor requirements.
- Oversee the work of community-based volunteers (CHWs & PEs) to ensure the
community mobilizations are effectively done for the smooth implementation of
- Ensure that the linkages between Community-based volunteers and existing health
facilities in the project catchment areas referral services are strengthened.
- Promoting the value and standards of care through appropriate guidelines and protocols.
- Performing monthly analysis of MER indicators and informing the management for decision-making.
Team Performance Management.
- Monitor the performance of the team in relation to the execution of the project activities and target achievements.
- Ensure that staff and partner’s staff are sufficiently trained or effectively exposed to project models, approaches, and strategies to enhance their achievements and realization of desired changes.
- Enhance staff capacity and skills in performance management to ensure smooth staff relations and accountability.
- Build staff capacity to live out UMATI’s values, vision, and mission in the communities we serve.
- Coordinate Human Resources related issues and functions.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Master’s degree or equivalent in public health, social science, international development, gender, or a related area is an added advantage.
- Significant experience (5+ years) in implementing Family Planning / Reproductive
Health programmes in Tanzania, preferably in contraceptive service delivery projects.
- Experience in leading SRHR large donor-funded programs (funded by FCDO will be an added advantage) and a managerial experience in the program, financial, and
human resources management, networking, knowledge management, and advocacy of large international development projects.
- Demonstrated experience providing capacity building and providing assistance with the public, the private sector, and at community level.
- Skilled in at least two or more of the following technical areas: strengthening service
delivery project; performance and quality improvement; quality of care; adolescent FP.
- Demonstrated experience with a mix of practical technical skills in FP/SRH necessary for strengthening service delivery at the regional, national, clinical and community- level.
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts.
- Experience with adaptive management and effective feedback loops to ensure the use of data in strategic and programmatic decision-making.
- Experience in the implementation of adolescent Sexual Reproductive health Project in Tanzania.
- Ability to make sound work judgments under difficult conditions, and to become technically effective with a minimal level of attention from supervisors.
- Proficient computer skills and use of relevant Microsoft software Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Attitudes and Behaviours
- Hardworking with the capacity to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrates honesty, integrity, as well as openness, and a transparent personality.
- Working towards achieving a team goal.
- Demonstrates respect for all groups of people in the community and is culturally sensitive.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
- Decisive evidence-based decision-making skills.
WISH Program Manager Job Opportunity at UMATI
Interested candidates should submit an application letter indicating the position applied for,
and detailed Curriculum Vitae in one document.
Applications should be submitted by 25th January 2023 to the Executive Director through
The position should be the subject of the email application.
Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
UMATI is an equal opportunity employer
Women and people with disability are highly encouraged to apply.