Walter Sisulu University WSU courses and requirements 2024/2025 – Courses at WSU in 2024
In this article you will get a chance to view the Courses at WSU in 2024 – Walter Sisulu University WSU courses and requirements 2024/2025
The Walter Sisulu University offers a diverse range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses through its various faculties.
Below you will be able to see the offered courses accordingly to the faculties
JOIN THE SOUTH AFRICA ALL UNIVERSITIES COMMUNITY ON WHATSAPP GROUP 👉 JOIN NOW
The Walter Sisulu University offers a diverse range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses through its various faculties, including:
All programmes are offered at the NMD Site of Mthatha Campus.
For all Bachelor’s Degree programmes, only applicants whose National Senior Certificate (NSC) results indicate that the learner has met the requirements for admission into Bachelor’s Degree, that is, Bachelors’ endorsement, may be admitted.
In the case of the old Senior Certificate, only applicants with a Matriculation Exemption endorsement will be considered for admission.
Admission Point System (APS)
- The Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Law endeavours to use a point system for admissions.
- The achievement levels are then translated into points for each NSC subject. Points will be used to calculate the total Admission Point Score (APS).
- The minimum APS required for a Bachelor’s degree is 26.
- For the Extended Programme in Social Sciences, the minimum APS requirement is 26 and the maximum is 29.
- Mainstream Programme in Social Sciences the minimum APS is 30.
- For the Bachelor of Laws, the APS is 34.
- The Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Law Admissions Committee considered the administration of admission point score as proposed by Universities South Africa (Usaf).
- The Committee appreciates the breakdown made in the achievement levels as this advantages a student whose performance is better than others.
On the basis of the Usaf proposal, the points will be awarded as in the following example:
|NSC % per Subject||Points|
The purpose of the above split will assist departments in admitting students according to their performance as opposed to the previous point system where a learner who scores 70% and the one who scores 79% would both attain7 points.
It should be noted that the above scoring system excludes Life Orientation and Mathematical Literacy.
Points for these two are allocated as follows:
|NSC % per Subject||Points|
|90 – 100%||5|
|80 – 89%||4|
|70 – 79%||3|
|60 – 69%||2|
|50 – 59%||1|
|40 – 49%||0|
|30 – 39%||0|
|0 – 29%||0|
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS PER PROGRAMME FOR 2021
|Programme||Minimum requirement||Minimum requirement|
|Bachelor of Arts||Senior Certificate with Matriculation Exemption.
At least two subjects in Humanities or teaching subjects, with at least two subjects with E (HG) and two subjects with D (SG) and a pass in any other two school subjects.
|Bachelor’s endorsement with NSC: Achievement rating of at least 4 (50 – 59%) for any four NSC Subjects, at least 2 of which are in the Humanities or are teaching subjects.
If English is taken as a major, it should be at least at level 5 (60-69).
|Bachelor of Social Science||Exemption and mature age exemption for applicants in possession of the senior certificate (old matriculation).||Bachelor’s endorsement with NSC achievement rating of at least 4 (50 – 59%) for any four NSC Subjects.
If English is taken as a major, it should at least be at level 5. NSC rating of at least 3 (40 – 49%) for English (if not to be taken as a Major), which is the language of learning and teaching at WSU and a pass in any other school subject.
|Bachelor of Laws||Senior Certificate with at least E (HG) and D (SG) in school subjects.||See under admission requirements under Bachelor of Laws.|
The following is also acceptable:
- Mature age exemption for the applicant in possession of the Senior Certificate (old matriculation) as per Rule 1.7 of the WSU General Rule and Regulations.
|Master of Arts||MA||1 year|
|Bachelor of Arts (Hons)||BA (Hons)||1 year|
|Bachelor of Arts||BA||3 years|
|Master of Laws||LLM||1 year|
|Bachelor of Laws||LLB||4 years|
|Postgraduate Diploma: Library & Information Science||PGDLIS||1 year|
|Bachelor of Social Science (Hons)||BSocSc (Hons)/BPsych||3 years|
|Bachelor of Social Science||BSocSc/PGDLIS||1 year|
|Bachelor of Social Sciences (Extended)||BSocSc||4 years|
|Social Work & Psychology|
|Bachelor of Social Work||BSW||4 years|
|Bachelor of Psychology||BPsych||4 years|
|Master of Social Work||MSW||1 year|
These are just a few examples of the courses available at the Walter Sisulu University. For a full list of courses, you can visit their website or contact the university directly.
How to see Walter Sisulu University courses direct from school website
To see the courses offered by the Walter Sisulu University, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the Walter Sisulu University website at www.WSU.ac.za
- In the menu bar at the top of the page, select the “Academics” tab.
- To view the faculty list, click on the “Faculties” link.
- Select the faculty that interests you and click on it to see a list of the courses that department offers.
- Another option is to search for a particular course using the search box in the top right corner of the page.
As an alternative, you can access the Walter Sisulu University’s online prospectus, which offers comprehensive details about the programs the university offers:
- The prospectus is available on the Walter Sisulu University website.
- Click on the “Prospective Students” tab on the menu bar, and then choose “Online Prospectus” from the dropdown menu.
- From there, you can browse through the faculties and courses offered by the university.
Higher Certificate courses at WSU 2024 – WSU Higher Certificate courses and requirements
How can a higher certificate benefit your career in the future?
Every industry has its own set of skills that they require in order to fulfill a particular position. With a higher certificate, because it is industry-orientated, it provides you with the opportunity to gain the knowledge of your chosen career field and implement what you have learned into the working environment.
“After finishing matric, I had no idea what I wanted to study or where my passion lies,” Shannon-Leigh Adams says. After several applications to universities and colleges, I had the option of choosing between two colleges. I decided to make an appointment with a student advisor just to be sure that I was making the right decision. After extensive research and consideration, I decided to pursue a higher certificate in event management. At this point, I was still not convinced I wanted to be in the events industry, but the course turned out to be a year full of excitement. It was not just about learning the theory but executing what you have learned into reality, which turned out to be quite exciting. After completing my 1-year course, I decided to further my studies by completing a Bachelor’s Degree in Corporate Communication. I used my higher certificate as a bridging course to enter my degree program, and I received credit for the modules I completed in my higher certificate. My advice for all those students struggling to identify their passion is to not feel pressured into doing something that sounds appealing to them. It is important to take the time to do thorough research into various courses, and if you are still unsure about the course, you can make an appointment with a student advisor before making your final decision.”
Did you know that higher certificates are in high demand, especially for students that do not qualify for a bachelor’s pass in the matriculation bridge?
This provides students with the opportunity to do a bridge course so that they can improve their marks and advance their higher certificate qualification.
In conclusion, the Walter Sisulu University (WSU) offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in various fields of study, including agriculture, education, technology, and the humanities. Some specific courses offered include:
WSU also offers postgraduate courses at the honors, masters, and PhD levels in various fields of study. For more information on specific courses and their requirements, you can visit the WSU website or contact the university directly.