The Stellenbosch University Botanical Garden – botanical gardens stellenbosch restaurant
The Stellenbosch University Botanical Garden, located in the historical center of Stellenbosch, is the oldest university botanical garden in South Africa. This compact Garden houses an enormous diversity of plants, both indigenous to South Africa and exotic. The Katjiepiering Restaurant offers a perfect place to rest and enjoy the Garden while the Shop offers a wide range of local and regional products. Also visit our Plant Sales area where you can find some of the beautiful plants cultivated in the Garden for sale.
COVID-19 SAFETY – Wearing a mask properly over nose and mouth is compulsory throughout the garden, except while eating in the restaurant area. Guests will be screened on entry, and entry and exit areas are provided with hands-free sanitiser stations.
09:00 – 16:00 during winter (21 June – 31 August), every day (Monday to Sunday)
08:00 – 17:00 during summer every day (Monday to Sunday), including public holidays except New Year’s Day and Easter Friday.
- R15 Admission, R10 for Seniors
- Annual entry cards available at discounted rates
- Free entry to SU students and staff
- Larger groups are welcome with prior-arrangement.
- Children only under supervision
- No photo shoots without prior-arrangement, professional shoots are are subject to a fee.
The Botanical Garden does not have a dedicated visitor parking area, a municipal parking area is located adjacent to the Garden in Van Riebeeck Street and street parking is also available surrounding the Garden.
Follow the link to access the Botanical Garden map.
Please DO NOT
- Pick any plants, touch any plants in pots or move plant labels
- Smoke, vape or consume alcohol in the garden
- Catch or touch any wildlife in the garden
- Play music
- Cycle, skate, play ball games or frisbee
- Walk in the flower beds
- Bring balloons or similar items into the garden
- Set up any chairs, tables or gazebos anywhere in the garden
- Take time to look, listen and smell the nature around you
- Wear your mask at all times
- Enjoy a picnic on the designated Picnic Lawn (see map below)
- Take photos of our beautiful garden but please note – No commercial or group photography without a permit
- Read the signs – They are there for a reason
- Put your litter in a rubbish bin
- Supervise children
- Ask questions – Our staff are here to help
- Respect our staff
Stellenbosch University Botanical Garden
Located in: Stellenbosch University
Address: Neethling St &, Van Riebeeck St, Stellenbosch Central, Stellenbosch, 7602, South Africa
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Sat
Phone: +27 21 808 3054