UKZN residence application 2024 – UKZN accommodation application 2024
UKZN- Department of Student Residence Affairs
How to apply for residence at UKZN University of KwaZulu-Natal: Accommodation and Fees
First-year applicants must apply for UKZN accommodation on the CAO application form. No separate application is required.
International students, new Postgraduate students and students transferring from other Institutions must apply for accommodation on the UKZN on-line Academic Application.
The closing date for on-line submission of residence applications by undergraduate returning applicants for each year is the end of September.
Residence admission is based on need, academic potential, ability to pay and distance from home.
Competition for places is high and not all applicants can be accommodated. Successful applicants are placed where spaces are available. Other applicants will have to find accommodation off campus and should use the Private Accommodation database provided on this website.
All students will be required to sign acceptance of the Residence House Rules on admittance to a residence.
JOIN THE SOUTH AFRICA ALL UNIVERSITIES COMMUNTY ON WHATSAP GROUP 👉 JOIN NOW
Do you need to find somewhere to live at UKZN?
It can be a bit challenging to find accommodation as a UKZN student, since things may work quite differently here than in your home country. You don’t have to worry! You can count on us for assistance.
The university can help you access a range of long and short term housing opportunities to suit different budgets. Some of your options include private rentals, student hostels, residential colleges, student apartments, and homestays.
UKZN’s accommodation website is a good place to access all sorts of information about accommodation options. This is your next stop when you’ve finished reading this page!
You will be able to:
- Explore different housing options
- Find long term accommodation
- Browse our rental database
- and more!
How to apply for residence at UKZN University of KwaZulu-Natal
If you’re interested in applying for residence at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Check if you’re eligible: Before you start your application, make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria for UKZN’s residences. Typically, applicants need to be registered students with the university, and they must have paid their fees in full.
- Choose a residence: it offers several residence options, including apartments, flats, and single and double rooms. Check the UKZN website for a list of residences and their locations, as well as their amenities and costs.
- Apply online: Once you’ve chosen a residence, you can apply online by visiting the website and selecting “Residences” from the main menu. Follow the prompts to complete your application and submit any required documents, such as proof of registration and payment.
- Wait for a response: After submitting your application, you’ll need to wait for a response from university. Depending on the availability of space in your preferred residence, you may be offered a place immediately, or you may be placed on a waiting list.
- Accept the offer: If you’re offered a place in a University residence, you’ll need to accept the offer and pay any required fees or deposits. Make sure to read the terms and conditions carefully before accepting the offer.
- Move in: Once you’ve accepted the offer and paid any fees, you’ll be able to move into your UKZN residence. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations of your residence, and enjoy your new home!
NSFAS accredited accommodation for UKZN students
Applications must be submitted via the NSFAS website: https://my.nsfas.org.za/
Your NSFAS application will not be considered if you
- received NSFAS funding in 2023*.
- have already completed an undergraduate degree or diploma.
- are not a South African citizen.
- need funding for a Short Learning Certificate or Programme or a postgraduate qualification.
*Students who have completed a higher certificate and will be starting a degree/diploma qualification in 2024 must re-apply for NSFAS funding.
Please visit the UKZN registration website for the registration dates:
- Returning NSFAS students who were funded in 2023 but have not yet completed their qualification: Please ensure that you are temporarily registered during the registration period while waiting for NSFAS funding confirmation for the 2024 academic year.
- Returning NSFAS students who received funding in 2023, have been declined for funding in 2024 but have appealed the decision: Please pay the minimum registration fee while you wait for the NSFAS appeal decision, if you chose to do so.
- First-time NSFAS applicants: Please ensure that you are temporarily registered during the registration period while waiting for NSFAS funding confirmation. If your NSFAS application is declined or delayed by the time the registration period closes, you will be expected to find alternative funding before your registration will be activated.
If your NSFAS application is provisionally approved, you do not need to pay the minimum registration fee. Your registration will be automatically activated based on NSFAS funding confirmation received by UKZN.
Appeals for new and continuing students will be open from 20 January 2024 to 20 February 2024.
All students are required to appeal directly to NSFAS via the myNSFAS portal.
Visit www.nsfas.org.za for appeal supporting documents.
- All NSFAS-funded students who pay the minimum registration amount to activate their registration will be refunded.
- A refund will only be processed once NSFAS has confirmed successful processing of registration data to UKZN.
- An application for a refund is not necessary.
NSFAS bursaries (Funza Lushaka, Department of Military Veterans, and Department of Justice [TRC])
- Students funded under these bursaries must renew their funding with their funders during their applicable application dates.
- Students are encouraged to visit their funders’ webpages for application dates.
Funza Lushaka: www.funzalushaka.doe.gov.za Department of Military Veterans (DMV): www.dmv.gov.za
Department of Justice (TRC): www.justice.gov.za