How to apply for residence at UCT University of Cape Town: Accommodation and Fees
JOIN THE SOUTH AFRICA ALL UNIVERSITIES COMMUNTY ON WHATSAP GROUP 👉 JOIN NOW
Do you need to find somewhere to live at UCT?
It can be a bit challenging to find accommodation as a UCT student, since things may work quite differently here than in your home country. You don’t have to worry! You can count on us for assistance.
The university can help you access a range of long and short term housing opportunities to suit different budgets. Some of your options include private rentals, student hostels, residential colleges, student apartments, and homestays.
UCT’s accommodation website is a good place to access all sorts of information about accommodation options. This is your next stop when you’ve finished reading this page!
You will be able to:
- Explore different housing options
- Find long term accommodation
- Browse our rental database
- and more!
But first …
Here are a few good things to know about finding accommodation in South Africa.
UCT Student housing
UCT provides differing types of accommodation for collegian and postgraduate students, on and off field. Usually, you’ll begin go into a first-tier residence (full catering), go to a second-tier residence (senior line of work or self-catering) and later, keep in third-tier accommodation (semi-autonomous self-catering).
Each residence has its own history and traditions, however all of them try and offer a good expertise. Safety is of nice importance to UCT, therefore all residences have strict access management and most square measure lined by television cameras.
Students with disabilities are often accommodated in numerous residences. merely contact the scholar Accommodation workplace and also the incapacity Service, and that they can address your explicit wants.
First-tier residences offer accommodation for collegian students, World Health Organization square measure sometimes underneath the age of twenty one. These residences offer students with up to three meals every day in an exceedingly feeding hall. Some first-tier residence buildings have double rooms.
These residences have common-room area for tv, conferences and social interaction, moreover as self-operating laundries. several have pool and Ping-Pong facilities, and a few have access to a swimming bath.
Second-tier residences offer accommodation for senior collegian and postgraduate students. line of work residences offer up to three meals every day in an exceedingly feeding hall. Most second-tier accommodation is within the variety of 2- to 4-bedroom flats. All rooms square measure single.
The residence governance structures allow a swish transition into freelance senior student life whereas permitting you to share communal area along with your peers.
These residences offer common-room area for tv, conferences and social interaction, moreover as self-operating laundries. several have a piano, pool and Ping-Pong facilities, and a few have access to a swimming bath.
Third-tier residences offer accommodation for senior postgraduate students.
These residences have wardens World Health Organization supervise tutorial and social well-being. The wardens make sure that there’s an honest community life within the homes, flats and purpose-made residences, like Obz sq..
Due to the geographical fragmentation of third-tier accommodation, a Residence Association works to make a top quality residence life expertise.
With basic article of furniture provided, most units square measure inside walking distance of higher field or about to Jammie Shuttle stops, and every one permit quick access to outlets and conveyance.
Some third-tier residences offer self-operating laundries, and every one residents have access to UCT sport facilities and swimming pools.
Accommodation for college students with spouses and dependents
JP Duminy residence provides accommodation for college students with spouses and dependents (but this is often restricted to students’ own children). it’s placed in highway, Mowbray, and homes forty two students in flats that square measure inside simple walking distance of higher field, the Jammie Shuttle service and native stores.
How to apply for residence at UCT University of Cape Town
If you’re interested in applying for residence at the University of Cape Town, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Check if you’re eligible: Before you start your application, make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria for UCT’s residences. Typically, applicants need to be registered students with the university, and they must have paid their fees in full.
- Choose a residence: it offers several residence options, including apartments, flats, and single and double rooms. Check the UCT website for a list of residences and their locations, as well as their amenities and costs.
- Apply online: Once you’ve chosen a residence, you can apply online by visiting the website and selecting “Residences” from the main menu. Follow the prompts to complete your application and submit any required documents, such as proof of registration and payment.
- Wait for a response: After submitting your application, you’ll need to wait for a response from university. Depending on the availability of space in your preferred residence, you may be offered a place immediately, or you may be placed on a waiting list.
- Accept the offer: If you’re offered a place in a UCT residence, you’ll need to accept the offer and pay any required fees or deposits. Make sure to read the terms and conditions carefully before accepting the offer.
- Move in: Once you’ve accepted the offer and paid any fees, you’ll be able to move into your UCT residence. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations of your residence, and enjoy your new home!
NSFAS accredited accommodation for UCT students
Applications must be submitted via the NSFAS website: https://my.nsfas.org.za/
Your NSFAS application will not be considered if you
- received NSFAS funding in 2023*.
- have already completed an undergraduate degree or diploma.
- are not a South African citizen.
- need funding for a Short Learning Certificate or Programme or a postgraduate qualification.
*Students who have completed a higher certificate and will be starting a degree/diploma qualification in 2024 must re-apply for NSFAS funding.
Please visit the UCT registration website for the registration dates:
- Returning NSFAS students who were funded in 2023 but have not yet completed their qualification: Please ensure that you are temporarily registered during Unisa’s registration period while waiting for NSFAS funding confirmation for the 2024 academic year.
- Returning NSFAS students who received funding in 2023, have been declined for funding in 2024 but have appealed the decision: Please pay the minimum registration fee while you wait for the NSFAS appeal decision, if you chose to do so.
- First-time NSFAS applicants: Please ensure that you are temporarily registered during Unisa’s registration period while waiting for NSFAS funding confirmation. If your NSFAS application is declined or delayed by the time the registration period closes, you will be expected to find alternative funding before your registration will be activated.
If your NSFAS application is provisionally approved, you do not need to pay the minimum registration fee. Your registration will be automatically activated based on NSFAS funding confirmation received by Unisa.
Appeals for new and continuing students will be open from 20 January 2024 to 20 February 2024.
All students are required to appeal directly to NSFAS via the myNSFAS portal.
Visit www.nsfas.org.za for appeal supporting documents.
- All NSFAS-funded students who pay the minimum registration amount to activate their registration will be refunded.
- A refund will only be processed once NSFAS has confirmed successful processing of registration data to UCT.
- An application for a refund is not necessary.
NSFAS bursaries (Funza Lushaka, Department of Military Veterans, and Department of Justice [TRC])
- Students funded under these bursaries must renew their funding with their funders during their applicable application dates.
- Students are encouraged to visit their funders’ webpages for application dates.
Department of Justice (TRC): www.justice.gov.za
Subscribe to our WhatsApp channel to get the latest posts delivered right to your dm.