South african passport fees 2022 – south african passport fees 2022

A duly completed passport application form (DHA-73) as well as the child’s South African birth certificate and a copy thereof, and two colour passport photographs. Payment of the passport application fee (currently R400).

See also  South african passport renewal online - South african passport application online

Fees for renewing or getting a new passport depend on several factors such as:

  • If you are only getting a passport card, or
  • If you opt for expedited service

The passport application fee and the execution fee are non-refundable. They are collected and retained by law even if a passport is not issued.

You can find the fees you may have to pay using these State Department resources:


This is an exciting time for those who are excited to return to travel, and anticipation levels are rising daily as we receive many tempting and affordable deals to a rapidly expanding world of travel. But, have you checked your passport validity? Make sure you’ve got enough time to renew your passport before travel, or that your documents have at least 6 months validity remaining. 

The Department of Home Affairs have streamlined the process in applying for your passport – both offline and online –  and you should be pleasantly surprised at how smooth this function has become.  

Here is how you can apply for (or renew) your passport: 
Call at your nearest Home Affairs office  
  • No appointment is required. Take along your ID, current (expired / or expiring) passport and the fee (currently R400). Take cash as their cash points are often down. 
  • A duly completed passport application form (DHA-73).  
  • If you are under 18, parental consent is required for issuing of a passport. If you are under 16, then additional requirements apply (see below). 
  • Two colour photographs that comply with the Passport and ID Photograph Specifications 
  • They will capture your biometrics and signature and in a few weeks the passport will be ready for collection (beware – longer delays may apply) 
Online application 
  • This more advanced system is designed to save time. 
  • Simply go to the eHomeAffairs website  and register online. 
  • Make your online payment. 
  • To record your biometrics you have two options: 
  • Proceed to your nearest Home Affairs office with your ID, old passport and proof of payment and they will record your photo, thumbprints and signature. 


  • Make an appointment at your nearest Home Affairs-Equipped Bank Branch (see below). Currently this is only available at participating banks in Gauteng and Cape Town. 
  • Then sit back and wait for an email or SMS to collect your passport! 
mpho mojapelo BAIrTR0ZkUM unsplash v2
Which banks am I able to complete my online application at? 

In Johannesburg 

  •  First National Bank Towers 
  • ABSA Towers 
  • First National Bank Merchant Place 
  • Nedbank Lakeview 
  • Nedbank Sandown 
  • Standard Bank Killarney Mall 
  • Standard Bank Simmonds Street 

In Pretoria 

  •  First National Bank The Grove Mall 
  • Nedbank Arcadia 

In Centurion 

  • ABSA Centurion Lifestyle Centre 
  • First National Bank Centurion Lifestyle 
  • Standard Bank Centurion 

In Cape Town 

  • Standard Bank Canal Walk 
What do I need to know when applying for a passport for minors under 16? 
  •  A duly completed passport application form (DHA-73) as well as the child’s South African birth certificate and a copy thereof, and two colour passport photographs. 
  • Payment of the passport application fee (currently R400). 
  • If parents are married, the form must be signed by both parents, and both parents and the child need to be in attendance during the application. 
  • If a parent is deceased, his or her death certificate and a copy must accompany the application for a passport. 
  • If parents are divorced and sole parental rights and responsibilities have not been granted to one parent, the child and both parents must be in attendance during the application and both parents need to sign. 
  • In the case of minors born out of wedlock, the biological father ’s consent will also be required if any of the circumstances as outlined in section 21 of the Children’s Act, 1995, are applicable, the child and both parents should be in attendance when the application is submitted. 
  • If the applicant is in the care of a guardian other than the parents, proof of the High Court’s appointment must accompany the application. 
  • If a parent cannot be located or refuses to consent, or a dispute concerning consent arises, the matter should be referred to the Children’s Court. The Court’s decision must be submitted with the application for the passport. 


If you’re planning your 2021 or 2022 international holiday, then start by checking the validity of your passport. If you need to apply for a new one or renew your existing, then ensure you have enough time before your travel dates. 

Categorized in: