Deputy Chief of Party at RTI International
Deputy Chief of Party at RTI International
RTI International Dar es-Salaam, Tanzania
Deputy Chief of Party – Tanzania Act to END NTDs East Project
RTI International (RTI) is both a global research institute and a leading international development organization. We combine these powerful capabilities with those of our partners to co-create smart, shared solutions for a more prosperous, equitable, and resilient world. Based in North Carolina, USA, RTI is one of the top implementing partners of projects funded through the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). A commitment to making meaningful change energizes our 6,000 staff who deliver results across eight international development sectors and in more than 80 countries.
Act to End Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) | East Project Tanzania is a five-year project funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) that helps national NTD control programs for the control and elimination of five targeted NTDs: lymphatic filariasis, onchocerciasis, schistosomiasis, soil-transmitted helminths, and trachoma.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party (COP), the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will be responsible for providing support to the COP in overall management of the Act | East project. She/he will oversee financial and operational management of the Act to End NTDs | East project in Tanzania, including finance, grants, procurement, HR, office administration, and IT functions. The DCOP will work closely with the COP, Senior Finance Manager (SFM), Grants and technical staff, and RTI regional and home office staff to ensure project resources are effectively and efficiently used to successfully achieve project objectives and results.
The DCOP is responsible for ensuring quality and timely financial reporting, strong controls are in place and followed for accounting and procurement, consistent compliance with RTI and USAID policies and regulations, effective management of grantees and the grant-making process, thoughtful and clear budgeting and financial forecasting, and positive staff engagement and service delivery by the HR, admin, and IT teams. The DCOP is responsible for operational and financial aspects of the project and must ensure financial and operational information is provided to project leadership, technical staff, and regional and home office staff for timely decision-making.
This position supervises the Act | East Tanzania’s Senior Finance Manager, Grants Manager, and Human Resources & Admin Assistant, with matrixed-management reporting lines to the HR Manager and IT Manager.
- Work in close collaboration with the COP to provide overall leadership to the Act | East Tanzania project including daily finance and technical operations, and appraisals of directly supervised colleagues;
- Ensure all Act | East Tanzania staff adhere to financial and operational policies outlined in the Field Operations
- Handbook and RTI’s Global Operations website, including providing training as needed on RTI/USAID financial and operational policies and procedures (advances, expense reports, travel policy, procurement policies and procedures, allowable versus unallowable costs, etc.);
- Ensure smooth, frequent and consistent information flows within the finance and operations group and with other departments within the Act | East Tanzania project;
- In collaboration with the COP, maintain strong relationships and partnerships with relevant institutions within the government of Tanzania, including NTDCP and PO-RALG, as well as USAID/Tanzania and other partners;
- Support the COP in hosting high-profile visits from NTD stakeholders and ensure good representation of RTI’s activities;
- Ensure compliance with RTI finance, accounting and procurement policies and procedures as well as local laws (i.e., taxes, customs, registration, minimize unbillable expenses);
- Work alongside the COP and RTI operations team at home office in monitoring and providing regular updates of project activities to ensure activity planning meets relevant guidelines set by RTI and USAID;
- Support the COP in reviewing financial and accounting documents, and approving payments;
- Work alongside the SFM on forecast to identify gaps between the approved work plan and updated budgets for upcoming activities and update COP and home staff with (identify patterns of frequent over/underspend, impact of significant changes in budgeted costs (fuel, per diem, etc.);
- Provide overall technical and administrative leadership in the area of grant management including the grantees, respective grants development, disbursement and reporting are compliant with RTI and USAID grant management regulations;
- Oversee the reporting of grants milestones, including the quality and timeliness of reports submitted by the regions and councils;
- Support the COP in ensuring an effective supply chain management, commodity procurement, logistics and distribution
- Lead the Act | East Tanzania property control efforts, including tracking, management, and proper disposal of all project property and supplies.
- Assist in fostering of project staff learning initiatives in consultation with RTI Regional Office HR;
- Work in strong partnership with Regional HR, home office HR and project staff;
- Supervise the proper presentation and functioning of the office.
- Master’s degree and 12 years of professional experience or bachelor’s degree and 15 years of professional experience in Business Administration/Financial Management or equivalent combination of education and experience. CPA, ACCA preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Experience working as a DCOP or operations and finance manager required;
- Experience managing and monitoring numerous/complex grants
- Advanced knowledge and prior experience using QuickBooks;
- Experience working with USAID-funded projects;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to develop and follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members;
- Excellent financial and analytical skills;
- Ability to build effective relationships with clients, peers, and stakeholders;
- Demonstrated success managing and leading large operational and administrative teams;
- Strong oral and written English communication skills and ability to coordinate activities with officials from host country government, US Government, NGOs, and other agencies;
- Strong computer skills: Microsoft Office applications;
- Experience in general business administration and financial management;
- Willingness to travel frequently outside of Dar es Salaam.
EEO & Pay Equity Statements
As a global employer of choice, RTI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging in the workplace and the communities and markets where we serve our mission. We value diversity of thought, culture, background and perspective and welcome applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, creed, citizenship status, disability, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws or RTI policy.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here .
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach and one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world. For more information, visit www.rti.org .
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
SUBSCRIBE NOW TO OUR CHANNEL TO GET SOLVED GRADE ISSUES
JOIN US ON THE WHATSAP GROUP BY CLICK HERE