Deputy Vice – Chancellor For Academic, Research and Consultancy
The Council of State University of Zanzibar seeks to recruit two Deputy Vice-Chancellors (Academic, Research and Consultancy and Planning, Finance and Administration) from suitably qualified and competent Zanzibaris with excellent credentials. The Deputy Vice- Chancellors shall work under the directive of the Vice-Chancellor of the University.
Qualifications and Experience:
The candidates should possess the following qualifications and experience.
- Be holders of PhD degrees from recognised higher learning
- Be at least at the rank of senior lecturer at the time of application.
- Have at least seven (7) years working experience in higher learning institutions, of which at least four (4) years in managerial position.
- Have a capacity to promote learning and extension in a competitive environment.
- Have ability and leadership skills to effectively co-ordinate academic and administrative
- Be accomplished scholars with proven track records in formulating and managing academic and administrative programmes as well as supervising and mentoring postgraduate
- Proven capacity to promote learning, teaching, research and development in higher learning
- Knowledge of national laws and policies specifically in educational and public service
- Be of high ethical standards, integrity and professionalism and adhere to national Constitution on leadership and integrity.
- Have excellent leadership, interpersonal and communication
- Be persons who would not be older than 57 years by October, 2021 when the posts are scheduled to be
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor responsible for Academic, Research and Consultancy is the Principal assistant and responsible to the Vice Chancellor in all matters pertaining to academic affairs, research and consultancy services of the University. In the absence of the Vice-Chancellor perform will the functions of the Vice Chancellor.
The candidate will be responsible for the development of policies, plans and programmes that enhance the academic and professional excellence needed to realize the university mission, vision and strategic objectives
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic Affairs) shall be the head of the Academic Division and will oversee all academic matters of the University.
- As a principal assistant to the Vice-Chancellor on academic matters, the successful applicant shall: –
- Be accountable to Vice-Chancellor in respect of such matters of academic, research and consultancy and delivery.
- Facilitate learning (through teaching) of academic programmes in the
- Be responsible for smooth running and development of academic programmes in the
- Accountable on all matters pertaining to academics management, quality, control and
- Evaluate and mentor current progress of academics in the University and recommending future
- Plan and ensure appropriate budgets for Schools, Institutes, Directorates and Research centres of the University are prepared and well executed.
- Direct and manage research and consultancy activities at Schools, Institutes, Directorates and Research centres.
- Coordinate the development and establishment of academic programmes and management of academic
- Maintain collaboration and linkages with both local and international institutions of higher learning for academics, research and innovation
- Overseeing the administration of students’ welfare
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned to him or her by the Vice- Chancellor or by the University
The Deputy Vice Chancellors (Academic and Administration) shall serve the office for a term of three (3) years and may be re-appointed for another term of three (3) years subject to the Council recommendations and approval of the Chancellor on evidence of excellent performance.
According to State University of Zanzibar salary scales.
Mode of Application:
- Applicants should submit six (6) copies of an up – to – date and detailed curriculum vitae (detailing academic qualifications, awards/scholarship/funding membership to professional associations and linkages), copies of relevant certificates, e-mail addresses and telephone
- They should also provide names, e-mail, telephone numbers and contact addresses of three referees and request the referees to forward their confidential reports to the undersigned
- Six (6) copies of application letters to should be sent via registered mail or courier in an envelope marked “Application for the Position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academic, Research and Consultancy” or “Application for the Position of Deputy Vice -Chancellor for Planning, Finance and Administration”.
- Six (6) copies from three (3) different referees’ confidential report on the applicants suitability for the post should be sent via registered mail or courier in an envelope marked “Application for the Position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academic, Research and Consultancy” or “Application for the Position of Deputy Vice – Chancellor for Planning, Finance and Administration” and reference number on left hand side of the
All applications should be addressed to the Secretary – Search Team, State University of Zanzibar, P. O. Box 146, Zanzibar-Tanzania and should be sent to the under-signed and be received on or before 16th August, 2021.
Applicants should only apply for ONE
All short-listed candidates shall be required to make themselves available for interaction at an appointed date.
The Secretary – Search Team
State University of Zanzibar (SUZA)
P. O. Box I46,
The deadline for submitting the application is 16 August 2021.