Principal Fish Trade and Marketing Officer
BACKGROUND INFORMATION FOR THE POSITION OF PRINCIPAL FISH TRADE AND MARKETING OFFICER
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO) is an institution of the East African Community (EAC) charged with the management and development of fisheries and aquaculture. It was formed by a Convention in 1994 with major amendments in 2016. It is accommodated under Article 9.3 of EAC Treaty and registered as a Regional Fisheries Management Organization (RFMO) under the FAO UN Charter CAP 102. The overall objective of the LVFO is to promote sustainable management and development of the fisheries and aquaculture in order to contribute to food security and economic growth in the EAC region. The 2016 amendment to the Convention that established LVFO expanded her mandate and scope to cover among others issues of fish quality, trade, and marketing. In addition, as EAC Partner States submit their instruments of accession to the Repository (FAO) and join the Organization, the number of main stream and project staff increases. Against this background, LVFO Secretariat is seeking to recruit competent staff to fill the position for Principal Fish Trade and Marketing Officer, to deliver on her mandate.
Job Ref: LVFO/HR/2021/01
Job Title: Principal Fish Trade and Marketing Officer
Grade: EAC P3
Reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary
Duty station: Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization Secretariat; Plot 7B/E Bell Avenue, Jinja, Uganda
A. Purpose of the Job
Conducts reviews, evaluates and also synthesizes reports and information regarding implementation of Fish Trade and Marketing to enable follow up on implementation of the interventions in official controls of fish quality, compliance to standards, value addition and marketing.
B. Duties and responsibilities
- Develop strategy to update and develop market information relating to fish
- Develop framework for harmonization of fisheries trade policies, regulations legislations, strategies, standards, guidelines, plans as well as traceability and certification mechanisms
- Develop frameworks for improved traceability and certification of fish products
- Assist in building capacity of competent authorities in the Partner States for accredited certification and compliance with regional and international fish import and export requirements
- Strengthen capacity of the Partner states in fisheries improvement programmes for Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) and Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) eco labelled certification for enhanced trade in seafood and aquaculture fish product in the region
- Conduct analysis of fisheries trade corridors
- Facilitate the development of coordinated positions of LVFO in forums of international standard setting organizations
- Coordinates and supports Fisheries Research and Fisheries Management institutions in improving post-harvest fish handling methods and techniques including preservation methods, handling and processing techniques, labeling, distributing and storage.
- Promotes adherence to guidelines on post-harvest handling by all investors in the region.
- Coordinates the marketing of fish products, and organizes joint promotion activities in the region.
- Promotes the harmonization of post-harvest management standard operating procedures in the region.
- Institutional strengthening of fish trade information networks in the region.
- Review and update data and information regarding markets and trade of fish and fishery products
- Evaluate and identify needs for strengthening performance of Competent Authorities, fish inspectors in official controls and strengthening capacity of private sector to comply to required standards
- Review and package data and information for sensitization on matters of fish quality assurance, marketing and trade
- Synthesize and update data and information on investments in fish handling, processing, marketing and trade
- Participates in implementation of programmes where required to ensure quality and safety of fish and fishery products
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports on activities conducted
- Reports to and performs any other duties as may be assigned by the immediate supervisor.
C. Qualification and working experience
A Master’s Degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Resource Economics, fish quality assurance, and Marketing and Trade in Agricultural Products. Post graduate training in a related field with specialization in fish and fisheries products will be an added advantage.
1. Working experience
- At least 7 (seven) years’ experience in fish quality assurance, marketing and trade or closely related field in the region. Two (2) of the years should be at senior level.
- At least 3 years’ experience in donor-funded marketing or trade related project in fisheries products or agricultural commodities
- Sound knowledge on challenges and trade issues in fisheries in the region
- Proven knowledge on international trade and marketing issues in fish and fisheries products
- Knowledge of regional and international instruments, strategies, frameworks, guidelines, tools etc. for agricultural commodity trade facilitation etc.
- Demonstrated experience in dealing with senior government officials and international development partners
- Sound knowledge on roles of regional organizations (RECs, RFBs etc.)
2. Desired key competencies
- Ability to understand and articulated issues related to fish trade and marketing,
- Effective writing, analytical and communication skills;
- excellent interpersonal skills; Planning and organization skills;
- Technical proposal writing and grant application skills;
- Computer and report writing skills;
- good networking skills and ability to maintain positive and constructive dialogue and relationships with key institutions in the region;
- Self-starter with the ability to strategically plan own work.
- Very good written and oral knowledge of English.
D. Conditions of employment
The Contract period is for five (5) years renewable once upon satisfactory performance. The first term is subject to a six (6) months’ probation, before confirmation upon satisfactory performance.
An attractive Basic Salary package at EAC P3 scale including monthly Housing and Transport allowance.
2. Fringe Benefits
In addition, this post offers attractive fringe benefits including an installation allowance paid once, plus gratuity paid monthly, a personal medical Insurance, and personal accident insurance cover.
Eligibility is restricted to candidates from EAC/LVFO Partner States (The Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania).
F. Language requirement
Proficiency in English language is a necessary requirement.
G. Age Requirement
Must be preferably not more than 55 years’ old
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above-mentioned position are advised to apply online through this system by clicking on the button labelled “Apply Now“. Once you have created an account, you will be required to upload an application letter (pdf), detailed curriculum vitae (pdf), certified photocopies of academic certificates (pdf), names and contact details of three referees, certified copy of National Identity Card (pdf), or Passport (pdf) and other document that suit most this position
Please quote the respective reference number on the application letter
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications must be submitted online through this system
Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing by email.
LVFO Staff Rules and Regulations precludes consideration of applicants above fifty-five (55) years of age
Please note that LVFO does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 10th September 2021 at 17:00hrs local time (East Africa Time).
The Executive Secretary
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)
Busoga Square Plot No. 7B/E Bell Avenue
P. O. Box 1625, Jinja – Uganda.
Tel: +256 434 125000