Save the Children has been working in Tanzania for more than 30 years. We are working with the government, local organizations and other international agencies to reduce child malnutrition, improve new-born and maternal health, support and strengthen early childhood development and primary education systems. We strengthen child protection systems for vulnerable children, promote children’s participation and contribution to policy and resource allocation for services which concern them, support, and respond to emergencies.
Our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
The Construction Officer will be tasked with overseeing all functional aspects of construction related projects such as conducting feasibility assessment, preparing technical documents & tender documents, supporting supply chain team for the procurement process, mobilise contractors, conduct regular field visit and conduct intensive technical monitoring of construction related activities in close coordination with Education team.
Contract Duration: 7 Months
No of Vacancies: One (1) Position
Reporting to: Education Project Manager
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Conduct need assessment in the selected schools to identify needs of School WASH facilities in close coordination with Education team.
- Conduct feasibility study to construct latrines and hand washing facilities in selected schools.
- Conduct hazard assesment and verify availability of land to prepare designs and drawings.
- Prepare design, Drawings, Bill of Quantity (BOQ), cost estimate and specifications of construction materials as per standard in close coordination with School Management Committee and Education teams
- Ensure quality of construction work carried by contractors per SCI construction policy.
- Responsible and accountable for frequent construction site visits.
- Supervise construction work of Latrines, hand washing facilities and any other construction activities that SCI will undertake.
- Prepare construction quality checklist and prepare periodic reports.
- Conduct frequent field visit to conduct technical monitoring.
- Provide necessary suggestion and technical backstopping to contractors, construction workers and School Management.
- Maintain close contact with selected communities and inform them of issues related to the project;
- Monitor working conditions and be aware for problems that might arise regarding progress, quality and safety;
- Provide periodic progress reports and undertake verification of payment invoices.
- Monitor construction budgets and overall performance with Program and Project Managers
- Verify all construction work carried out at the completion stage in cooperation with the relevant authority and ensure that all requirements are fulfilled before a Certificate of Completion is issued, and final payments paid.
- Assist and support programme staff (Budget Holders) in preparation of project proposals and monitoring of their budgets related to all construction activities.
- Comply with Save the Children’s Child Protection Policy to ensure maximum protection for children.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders.
- Support Country Office compliance with SCI Construction Policy and Benchmark Standards, working with Engineer, Country construction focal point and Regional Construction TA to embed policy and develop Standard Operating Procedure.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s in civil engineering/ Architecture or related field;
- Minimum 2 years of relevant working experience preferably in a humanitarian/recovery context;
- Experience on WASH related projects specially on design and construction of infrastructures.
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile.
- Fluency in English and Swahili, both written and verbal.
- Previous work experience with a national/international NGO;
- Excellent in computer software such as excel, word, and CAD/ArchiCAD etc;
How to Apply.
Please read the full details of the position at https://tanzania.savethechildren.net/careers and apply as instructed. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for Interview.
Application closing Date: 20th June 2021
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy. All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process
Find out more about this role by downloading the job description here Job description
Closing date: 20 Jun 2021 – 23:59 EAT
Location: Zanzibar, Tanzania, United Republic of
Department: Programme Operations
Type: Fixed-term contract
The deadline for submitting the application is 20 June 2021.