Position: Research Scientist (1 post)
Reports To: Project PI and ZAMEP Management
Work Station: Zanzibar
Apply By: June 19th 2021
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a qualified and experienced Research Scientist to work with a project on Data Science which is mandated to develop and strengthen the required capacity for local scientists as well as to work on mathematical modelling, machine learning, Artificial Intelligence (AI), software programming, and in data management & analysis related projects. The project is funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. This position will be based at the Zanzibar Malaria Elimination Program (ZAMEP) in Zanzibar.
The Research Scientist will support and build capacity of ZAMEP staff in the implementation of mosquito database management system for routine entomological monitoring (across different mosquito species) and the integration of malaria related surveillance systems. The candidate will be required to build the staff capacity to perform data analysis on historical and future data to produce reports and manuscripts with a support from senior scientists and program management – so the applicant is expected to build the capacity of the staff in linking disease epidemiological and entomological data for decision making.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understanding different features of MosquitoDB (www.mosquitodb.io).
- Train the ZAMEP entomology unit on how to implement MosquitoDB and its associated tools.
- Support ZAMEP entomology unit on how to use electronic devices for mosquito data collection
- Train users on how to use the android based mobile application for entomological monitoring
- Provide data management technical support for Zanzibar Malaria Elimination Program
- Work with Entomology unit to understand the current practice for ento data management
- Work with Entomology unit to support the collection of routine entomological data via MosquitoDB mobile application
- Implement the integration of entomological and epidemiological databases as well as intervention information
- Reformat ZAMEP historical data and ensure that is properly uploaded into the MosquitoDB as needed.
- Support ZAMEP on the use of evidence for decision making (e.g., by developing data visualization tools)
- Support the ZAMEP staff to write reports, scientific manuscripts, and other outputs to disseminate results in technical working group, local and international conferences, peer-reviewed journals.
- Seek support from senior scientists and program management to apply for grant to support your PhD program or project benefit to ZAMEP.
- Support any IHI and/or PAMCA’s initiative that might require your expertise.
- Assist with any other duties as directed by your supervisor.
Qualification and Experience
- Holder of MSc in Health Informatics, computer science, Mathematics, Statistics or any other related discipline.
- Knowledge on malaria transmission including control and elimination strategies.
- Having previous experiences supporting a malaria control/elimination program or a similar national program a plus.
Skills and Competencies
- Proficiency with statistical software R is a plus.
- Strong data management and data analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English, with good presentation skills.
- Experience developing database web-based application.
- Ability to work independently, in interdisciplinary teams, and as part of a team on large research projects.
- Having some knowledge on mosquito biology is a plus.
- Must have ambition to join PhD program in related field.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
- IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00 on Friday June 19th 2021. All e-mail application subject
lines should include: RESEARCH SCIENTIST – ZAMEP. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania