Position title: Principal Treasury Officer, FITR
Position N°: 50093714
Publication date: 04-Mar-2021
Closing date: 02-Apr-2021
Duty station: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for Finance oversees the financial management of the Bank Group. This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The Treasury department is responsible for raising funds from capital markets, managing and investing the Bank Group’s liquidity and shareholders’ funds, processing and settling all financial transactions and managing the institution’s banking relationships.
The role of the Capital Markets and Financial Operations Division is to: (1) Raise cost effective resources from the capital markets; (2) Contribute to the Capital Increases process and administer the subscriptions of shareholders to the capital of the African Development Bank; and (3) Contribute to the African Development Fund replenishment negotiations and administer the subscriptions of donors to the African Development Fund and Multilateral Debt Relief Initiative.
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, Capital Markets & Subscriptions, the Principal Treasury Officer contributes to the strategy and implementation and execution of the African Development Bank’s annual borrowing program, the management of subscriptions to the capital of the Bank, the African Development Fund and the Multilateral Debt Relief Initiative, technical discussions related to the Bank’s capital increases, replenishments of African Development Fund, rating reviews and financial policies.
Duties and responsibilities
The Principal Treasury Officer will carry out the following functions;
1. Implementation of the borrowing program and management of liabilities
- Identify and develop strategies for relevant products or markets
- Supervise or Participate in all stages of the borrowing process
- Prepare or contribute to the annual borrowing program
- Monitor bond markets through various information sources including Bloomberg
- Manage relationships with banks and maintain constant flow of discussions on bond market developments and a proactive and comprehensive coverage across markets and instruments
- Participate and/or design issuance strategy in various markets
- Draft, negotiate and finalize the technical documents required to launch new bond issues
- Source, analyze, price, negotiate and execute borrowing, derivatives, buyback trades and other liability management transactions
- Participate in the investors relations program to deepen and widen the Bank’s investor base, updating them on the Bank’s credit story
- Update or Contribute to the update of the Bank’s borrowing documentation including the GDIF and GIS
2. Administer resources and subscriptions of the African Development Bank, African Development Fund and Multilateral Debt Relief Initiative
- Provide advice to the Manager on issues related to the administration of subscriptions
- Draft and prepare technical papers
- Review and control documents related to the implementation of the African Development Bank, African Development Fund resolutions and Multilateral Debt Relief Initiative
- Advise shareholders and internal parties on key issues related to their subscriptions
- Implement the relevant resolutions of capital increases, African Development Fund replenishments and Multilateral Debt Relief Initiative
- Work on the improvement / establishment of automated systems for the management of subscriptions and contributions
- Administrative management of subscriptions, contributions, payments and encashment
- Prepare the voting powers
- Prepare financial notes, briefs and status reports
3. Participate in the Bank’s credit rating review process
4. Contribute to the annual rating review process with Credit Rating Agencies
5. Participate in the review of the Bank’s financial policies
- Provide advice to the Manager on issues pertaining to financial policies
- Participate in the review the Bank’s financial policies
- Participate in the restructuring of the Bank’s balance sheet, discussions on the introduction of new lending instruments and the allocation of debt to pools of assets
6. Prepare the Bank’s Financial Presentation booklet
7. Prepare the administrative hedge of the Bank’s capital
8. Perform other duties assigned by the Division Manager
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Statistics or a related quantitative discipline.
- Professional certification such as Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or ICMA is an advantage
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of professional experience in the international Capital Markets, with a special emphasis on bond issuance. Practical experience of managing global bonds and /or public bonds issuance process and using derivatives for hedging purposes.
- Solid knowledge and experience of capital markets, including structured products, derivatives, market rules and regulations, financial markets skills, and risk management concepts.
- Ability to write clear, convincing and well-structured business documents and reports in English and/or French
- Ability to work effectively with individuals of different views, culture, nationality, gender and age
- Ability to cope with multiple demands and competing priorities
- Ability to bring together people with complementary skills to ensure project’s success
- Ability to take ownership for projects and ensuring that output is of the highest quality and delivered in a timely manner
- Command of standard computer software applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Bloomberg, Summit/Numerix would be an advantage
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French preferably with a working knowledge of the other language
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED AS INTERNATIONAL RECRUITMENT AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.