Research Officer – Volunteers
Job Summary Position: Research Officer – Volunteer (1 Post)
Reports to: Project Leader/Principal Investigator
Work station: Bagamoyo
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a Research Officer – Volunteer to work in a phase III randomised controlled multicentre trial to evaluate the efficacy of the R21/ Matrix- M vaccine in African children against clinical Malaria (VAC 078). The Volunteer will be required to recruit and make follow ups on study participants; attend community sensitisation meetings and establish rapport to recruit study them. The Volunteer will also be required to work in a professional and ethical manner and make presentations on progress reports and participate to publish, write proposals and compete for research grants to address scientific questions in line with strategic objectives of IHI, and the public health needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare the site and ensure that it has all the necessary facilities to meet standards before conduct of study and selected staff to support a vaccine trial.
- Respond to questions addressed in collaboration with the sponsor/ designee, submission of documents and completions of checklist (updating).
- Attend weekly clinical trial team meetings and on-line sponsor meetings.
- Participate in updating of study standard operating procedures and study documents.
- Recruit study participants and conduct follow ups according to specified trial protocol and standard operating procedures (SOPs) schedule.
- Ensure that, SOPs and related study documents are well communicated to the study team and are duly followed by personnel involved in the trial.
- Adhere to ethical principals in human research during the implementation of the trial.
- Supervise the study team on adherence to procedures, according to approved protocol, ICH guidelines and any relevant local regulations.
- Review the documents and perform clinical and physical examination during study visit.
- Attend any adverse event and review clinical notes compiled by study clinical officer. Attend community sensitization meeting and attract study volunteers
- Participate to write, present and publish research papers.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the project leader.
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Medicine/ MD.
- Working experience of 1 year.
Skills and Competencies
- Hard worker.
- Good scientific/investigational skills.
- Good writing, oral communication and presentation skills.
- Time management to establish priorities and planning the project timelines.
- Leadership and management skills to conduct meetings and conflict resolution skills (effective decision making).
- Interpersonal skills to minimize conflict and performance review/ feedback. Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Accountability, Respect, Integrity and Initiative)
An attractive and competitive volunteer package will be offered to successful candidate.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on Friday April 23rd 2021. All e-mail application subject lines should include: Research Officer – Volunteer – Clinical Trials Facility.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
Ifakara Street – Mikocheni
Dar es Salaam
The deadline for submitting the application is 23 April 2021