Position: Senior Research Scientist/Research Scientist (2 Posts)
Reports to: Principal Investigator (PI)
Work station: Rufiji and Kibiti
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for Senior Research Scientists/Research Scientists (2 posts) to work in the entomology work package within the big cluster randomized clinical trial of the Broad One Health Endectocide-based Malaria Interventions in Africa (BOHEMIA). The candidates should have the qualities of a senior field entomologist to effectively assist the BOHEMIA PI in implementing and supervising activities of the entomology work package. The work package focuses on the evaluation of the impact of repeated ivermectin MDA on vector populations and their transmission activities in Rufiji and Kibiti districts, Tanzania. The candidates will be required to demonstrate perfect leadership skills as well as excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Also, the candidates should have demonstrated interest and experience of working on entomological surveys in rural villages with a clear understanding of vector biology, ecology, behavior and control and their relationships with the epidemiology of malaria in Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare, organize and review relevant SOPs, protocols and quality manuals and ensuring that procedures in the SOPs are being followed
- Ensure all raw data generated are full documented and kept
- Assist the PI to plan, organize, and supervise field entomological surveys to make sure the resources are efficiently utilized to meet the expected
- Assist the PI to supervise recording of data using established good documentation including data management forms and tools for documented practices and reporting any deviations from the study protocols and associated
- Perform routine spot checks on daily, weekly and monthly basis during entomological surveys in the field or bioassays in the laboratory and semi-field conditions to ensure high standards of quality data based on GCPs, GLPs and international standards are
- Ensure compliance with applicable GLPs, GCPs, Study Protocols, associated SOPs and the instructions from the
- Supervise and conduct both semi-field and field entomological activities including adult mosquito collections, larval collections, mosquito rearing and maintenance, and bioassays.
- Review study protocols and implement submission for ethical
- Conduct GLPs, GCPs, mosquito taxonomy, mosquito dissections training through hands-on to ensure the team is competent on all entomological procedures required in the
- Manage and maintain equipment, reagents and consumables for field entomological surveys to ensure adequate stock for continuous implementation of
- Analyze and interpret data collected from field entomological surveys and from laboratory and semi- field
- Assist the PI with the preparations of technical reports and manuscripts for
- Participate in the presentations of research findings in national and international
- Monitor project budget, timelines, and milestones to ensure timely delivery of study results within the
- Ensure adequate and appropriate sample storage, labelling, record keeping, prepare and organize shipment of sub-samples to collaborators when
- Conduct any other related tasks assigned by the BOHEMIA
Qualification and Experience
- A PhD in medical entomology/Master of Science in vector biology, medical entomology or veterinary entomology or related disciplines (but with more experience) will also be considered.
- Experience of at least 2 years in medical entomology, especially field entomological surveys, mosquito handling and rearing, laboratory, and field and semi-field entomological bioassays will be of significant
Skills and Competencies
- Familiar with data statistical analysis software such as “R.”
- Financial (budget) and personnel management skills and
- Ability to mentor other team members especially junior entomologists and
- Excellent interpersonal skills to engage efficiently with scientists, technicians, administrators, field workers and communities for the smooth running of the project.
- Good oral communications in English and Kiswahili
- Adhere to the IHI core values (transparency, accountability, respect, integrity and initiative).
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should email their application letters along with their detailed CVs showing contact addresses, including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
The deadline for receiving applications is 17:00 hours on Friday April 30th 2021. All e-mail application subject lines should include the name of the position: SENIOR RESEARCH SCIENTIST/RESEARCH SCIENTIST – BOHEMIA. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The deadline for submitting the application is 30 April 2021