Join us in our efforts to end the HIV epidemic in Tanzania. Be part of the winning team to advance global health and save the lives of people living with HIV.
About HJFMRI Tanzania Program
The Walter Reed Program Tanzania (WRP-T) is a collaborative effort that supports PEPFAR-funded HIV prevention and treatment activities in the Southern Highlands and within the Tanzania People’s Defense Forces (TPDF). HJF Medical Research International, Inc Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is a local non-profit that has supported these efforts since 2004 for the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR). PEPFAR activities are conducted in close collaboration with the Tanzania Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children; and the President’s Office of the Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG), through the Regional and Council Health Management Teams.
HJFMRI-T provides care and treatment to people affected by HIV/AIDS and has been actively involved in HIV and AIDS programming, providing resources, personnel, and services to the Southern Highlands Zone. The program has expanded from supporting the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital to becoming a hub for antiretroviral treatment in the zone; to community support through decentralized services, with the overall objective of implementing research, clinical HIV, prevention, care, and treatment services. HJFMRI-T currently focuses specifically on four regions in the Southern Highlands zone, namely Mbeya, Rukwa, Katavi, Songwe, and Ruvuma for VMMC services only. The program also supports TPDF to implement a comprehensive HIV prevention care and treatment program in 21 sites throughout the country.
HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is seeking qualified candidates to fill the positions listed below:
Job Title: Financial Analyst
Reports to: Finance Manager
The purpose of the Financial Analyst position is to provide leadership and direction in all phases of budgeting services at WRP. This includes budget preparation, formulation, analysis, presentation, and reporting. The Budget Analyst will consolidate budget data and provide a viable overview of the financial situation of both the WPR program and partners. They will provide financial advice to managers to enhance program planning and effective decision-making. Additionally, he will seek to implement budget guidelines and processes with respect to the requirements from both the US Government and HJFMRI.
Duties and Responsibilities Budget Preparation/Formulation
- Establish and maintain an annual budgeting calendar that includes the establishment of a yearly program/operational budget and a cycle of budgetary reviews;
- Act as an advisor to Program and Operational Managers, as well as to HJFMRl partners in budget preparation, submission, and fiscal allocation;
- Oversee the creation, submission, and collation of budget;
- Disseminate approved budgets throughout the organization and explain issues as requested;
- Fully integrate the role of a Financial Analyst within the Finance Team, ensuring synergy between the existing positions and this one;
- Enter all approved budgets into QuickBooks in a timely manner, and pull reports from the same
Budget and Budget Process Review
- Review proposed Program and Operational budget submissions for both WRP staff and partners with respect to accuracy, completeness, and compliance;
- Examine whether budget submissions can be achieved based on known capacity constraints and inform the management of potential problem areas;
- Create and/or propose enhancements to budget models and tools:
- Review all budget templates for calculation errors;
- Compare budgets to actual at the end of each reporting period and identify areas of significant variance;
- Consult with HJFMRI managers and partners to ensure that budget adjustment are made in accordance with program changes;
- Summarize budgets and submit recommendations for the approval or disapproval of fund requests;
- Inform Program and Operational Managers of due dates for the submission or review of budget materials.
- Create consolidated budget versions for management review and approval.
- Liaise with the Contract and Grants Manager and Outreach Team to establish Partner budgets in an integrated, timely, and cost-effective way.
- Create reports and PowerPoint presentations summarizing results of budget analysis and present the reports to management.
Capacity Building and Systems Development
- Working with the appropriate staff in Mbeya and at HQ, provide input into the continued development of user-friendly budget systems;
- Enhance the skill sets of WRP staff and partners in all aspects of budgeting;
- Develop guidelines, checklists, and other materials to improve staff and partner budgeting processes;
- Develop and facilitate training sessions and educational materials designed to increase WPR staff and partner abilities to budget, forecast, track expenses by program area, and report.
- Contribute to team-wide communications and planning;
- Participate in staff events and meetings;
- Undertake other project-based work when requested by the Finance Manager or Sr. staff.
- At least a bachelor or Master’s degree in one of many areas, including accounting, finance, business, economics, statistics;
- Strong analytic and policy analysis backgrounds that may be obtained through such majors as political science, economics, public administration, or public finance.
- Both quantitative and analytical skills
- Strong numerical and analytical skills, courses in statistics or accounting are helpful, regardless
- Financial analysts must abide by strict ethical standards.
- Integrity, objectivity, and confidentiality are all essential when dealing with financial information, and financial analysts must avoid any personal conflicts of interest.
- Mathematical skills and should be able to use software packages, including spreadsheet, database, data-mining, financial analysis, and graphics programs.
- Strong oral and written communication skills also are essential, because financial analysts must prepare, present, and defend budget proposals to decision-makers. In addition, financial analysts must be able to work under strict time constraints.
HOW TO APPLY
Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to the Human Resources and Administration Manager, P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya, or sent through e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE.
Applications that are hand-delivered will not be accepted. The deadline for submitting the application is April 28, 2021. Those who do not meet the minimum requirements, as detailed in the job description below, will not be considered.