Frankfurt Zoological Society (FZS) conserves wildlife and ecosystems focusing on protected areas and outstanding wild places. FZS maintains long-term conservation programmes in Africa, South America, Asia and Europe.
With increasing funds for biodiversity conservation from the development-banking sector, we have identified the need to provide additional support to projects in Serengeti, Nyerere National Parks and Selous Game Reserve and Tanzania Country Office (TCO) to meet donor requirements. We are seeking an experienced procurement Officer to provide backstopping to project teams to ensure that procurement of goods and services adhere to the procedures and standards laid out by donor requirements.
1. Name of the position : Procurement Officer- FZS Tanzania
2. Position in the organisation :
- Reporting to the Head of Finance and Administration
- The position will support sourcing and procurement of goods, works and services in the most cost-effective manner.
- The post holder will provide support for wider procurement issues relevant to FZS projects in Tanzania.
- The Procurement Officer will also work alongside with Project Accountant and Program Managers
3. Purpose of the job
- To provide support in all matters related to procurement and logistics in project sites from Arusha office.
- Sourcing and procurement requirements may include (but are not limited to) spare parts, construction projects, field equipment (vehicles, tents, uniforms etc).
- Participate in preparation of procurement plan based on approved budgets and AOPs.
- Secretary to the Procurement Management Unit (PMU)
4. Roles and Responsibilities:
- Strategic Procurement Management:
- Conduct source audit exercises through supplier selection, evaluation, and assessment.
- Support the preparation of Project’s Annual Procurement Plans
- Support the Projects in procurement and other logistics to ensure goods, works and services are procured in a timely way to facilitate project implementation and at the same time receive value for money.
- Work with the Program Managers to ensure vendors follow all the tendering regulations, procedures and instructions
- Ensure orders are accurately drawn with the correct specification, quantity, qualities and delivery requirements
- Review all requests and purchase orders for completeness and conformance to user requirements.
- Manage consistent and effective strategic sourcing process.
- Support negotiations for large procurements i.e. vehicles.
- Communicate sourcing approaches to all relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in quarterly pre-qualification of suppliers and ensure that the supplier’s database is regularly updated.
Contracts Negotiation and Management:
- Direct content for key supplier contracts including terms and conditions to mitigate risks for FZS Tanzania.
- Preparation of standard bidding documents, with terms and conditions of the tender.
- Monitoring performance and delivery of the terms of references of the contractors and recommendation for contract termination in cases of non-compliance to the TORs.
- Frame contractual agreements for supply of consumables at the same prices for specific agreed period.
- Support negotiations are carried out on contracts and orders to realize possible savings for the organization.
Performance Measurement and Management:
- Support Project Managers in drafting and preparation of reports to donors and partners (quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports)
- Manage relationships with key suppliers.
- Ensure preparation and submission of weekly/monthly procurement status reports in order to engage the suppliers and other stakeholders
- Keeping records of stores and all materials movements at Arusha semi office
- Ensure implementation and maintenance of an updated suppliers’ database with catalogues of various products and prices. Ensure timely clearance of goods from the port by working with clearing agents, relevant government arms and timely processing and follow up of relevant government exemptions like VAT.
- Ensure relevant original documents are obtained from Suppliers i.e. EFD receipt, fiscalised invoice
- Printing, filing and maintaining records of all project activities implementation in its respective files at Arusha office.
5. Job Requirements: Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Materials Management/Procurement and Logistics or similar
- At least three years of experience with Procurement and Logistics in donor funded projects.
- Good written and spoken English
- Willingness to work long hours in remote areas with minimal supervision
- Valid class D motor vehicle driving license and clean driving record
- Excellent computer skills.
- Experience working or living in the parks when required to.
- One or more years of experience working in wildlife conservation sector
- Experience working with international NGOs and donor-funded projects
2 year full-time contract based at TCO Arusha with occasional travel to FZS project sites. Candidates should be considering a longer- term commitment.
- Your application should contain a cover letter, your chronological CV as well as qualifying certificates. Your cover letter should answer the following questions:
- Why would you like to work for the advertised position?
- What qualifications and personal qualities make you a good candidate?
- Please send your electronic application documents (as one single pdf) and indicate your salary expectations and the earliest possible starting date to email@example.com.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 7th MAY 2021 at 16.00 HOURS
e. Behaviour Competencies
- Integrity – Maintain high ethical standards, both personally and professionally; shows integrity, respect and fairness when dealing with others
- Teamwork – Co-operates and works well with others in the pursuit of team’s goals; shares information; supports others. Contributes effectively towards a collective (organizational) goal or towards solving problems/conflicts even when the topic involved does not directly serve one’s own interests
- Flexibility – Adaptable; receptive to new ideas; willing and able to adjust to changing demands and circumstances. Willingness to work on week-ends and during holidays if needed
- Planning and organizing – Setting goals and budgeting in a transparent and effective manner; indicating necessary action, time and resources and monitoring progress
- Initiative – Recognizing opportunities and acting on them. Pro-active, self-starting rather than passively accepting; actively influencing events.
- Creativity – Conceiving original solutions to job-related problems. Introducing new working methods to replace existing ones.