The Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHST) an institution of The Aga Khan Development Network, has completed a major expansion of the Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam. This expansion aims at enhancing the Hospital’s facilities, technology and capacity which will allow it to become the leading provider of high-quality medical care focusing on tertiary medicine, reversing the flow of medical tourism and enhancing its capacity to deliver high quality health sciences education.
The Hospital’s recent expansion focuses on expanding key clinical services including the development of comprehensive cardiology, oncology and neurosciences programmes as well as the expansion of orthopedics and trauma, diagnostic imaging, pathology, critical care, and women and child health.
The Hospital is ISO 9001 certified and Joint Commission International Accredited which is a testimony to the provision of the highest level of quality and patient safety that compares with the best hospitals in the world. The Hospital is also a teaching site for The Aga Khan University, which offers postgraduate medical education programs leading to Master’s of Medicine in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, obstetrics and gynaecology and Surgery. The Aga Khan Hospital is also an accredited internship site and accepts 60 interns annually.
The Hospital has also established 23 outreach health facilities that are located across 11 regions of Tanzania and are connected via an integrated health system that supports a strong continuum of care from primary to tertiary medicine.
We are seeking for enthusiastic and qualified experienced personnel for the following position:
SPECIALIST PAEDIATRICIAN – (1 POSITION) – To be based at Aga Khan Medical Center, Mwanza.
The specialist will be responsible for assessment, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of childhood diseases. The position will also include providing administrative oversight to the pediatric service at the facility. The specialist will report to the Head of Department of Pediatrics at the Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam.
- Conduct regular well baby assessments on newborns and young children to check and record their health and normal growth and development.
- Attend high risk cesarean deliveries and conduct resuscitation as required.
- Assess sick children to determine their condition and ask intuitive questions to gather information about symptoms.
- Reach an informed diagnosis based on scientific knowledge and individual medical history.
- Prescribe medications and give detailed instructions for administration.
- Prescribe and interpret appropriate lab tests to gain more information for possible infections or abnormalities.
- Ensure vaccines are administered according to the government vaccination plan and international guidelines.
- Examine and treat injuries and refer to physicians of other disciplines when necessary (e.g. surgeons, ophthalmologists, orthopedists etc.)
- Advise parents on children’s diet, exercise and disease preventive measures.
- Keep updated records of patients’ illnesses, surgeries or other medical episodes Prepare government and organizational reports on birth, death, and disease statistics, workforce evaluations, or the medical status of individuals.
- Define, implement and monitor standards of performance and quality improvement of pediatric services.
- Work in collaboration with the pediatric department at Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam to ensure highest standards of pediatric care
- Participate in training and research activities coordinated by the Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam and the Aga Khan University, Tanzania.
- Any other roles assigned by the Supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master Degree in Pediatrics from a recognized University.
- Fellowship/Super Specialized training will be an added advantage.
- Must have Registration from Medical Council of Tanganyika (MCT).
- Must have valid Retention Certificate from Medical Council of Tanganyika (MCT).
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a reputable Hospital.
- Experience in hospital quality program and clinical governance is desirable.
- In depth knowledge of children epidemiology and infectious diseases.
Duty Station: Mwanza, The incumbent should be willing to travel or stay in any part of Tanzania
Complete applications should be submitted electronically to:
The Aga Khan Health Service at email@example.com with the subject line of the position or hand delivered to Aga Khan Medical Center
Mwanza and Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam, P. O. Box 2289, Ocean Road, Dar es Salaam.
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF THE APPLICATION PACKAGE IS END OF BUSINESS DAY ON 19TH APRIL, 2021.
PLEASE NOTE ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEWS