Application is now open for the 2021 Bongani Mayosi National Health Scholarships for all South African Scholars. It also include steps on how to apply but you must meet the criteria before applying.
The Department of Research Administration and Development at the University of Limpopo encourages all eligible applicants to apply for the Bongani Mayosi National Health Scholars Programme (BM-NHSP).
BM-NHSP is an initiative by the National Health Research Committee (NHRC) and a partnership between the National Department of Health (NDoH), the Public Health Enhancement Fund (PHEF) and the South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC). The objective of the BM-NHSP is to fund the training of 1000 PhDs in health and clinical research over the next 10 years. Applications are invited for PhD scholarships tenable in South African universities. Funding is towards the completion of the degree and funding is made available for a full degree period (i.e. prescribed time for a PhD) as a tax-free scholarship for full-time study.
The purpose of this particular request for applications (RFA) is to build capacity in four priority research areas namely:
- Mental health,
- Violence, injury and trauma,
- Digital health
- Rural health
The current funding opportunity is targeting applicants who preferably hold an MBChB or master’s degree, are in their second year of PhD study within the specialized fields of Biostatistics, Data Science, Digital Health, Demography, Epidemiology, Health Economics, Genomics/Bioinformatics and Immunology.
BONGANI MAYOSI NATIONAL HEALTH SCHOLARS PROGRAMME ELIGIBILITY
- Must be a South African citizen/permanent resident
- Applicants must hold MBChB or a master’s degree
- Must have an officially approved PhD research proposal
- Must be registered as a full-time PhD student, preferably in 2nd, 3rd or 4th year
- Must provide written commitment of participation by an experienced research supervisor who is willing to train the student for the entire duration of the degree
- The research supervisor must have research funding for the project and appropriate facilities for the scholar to effectively conduct the PhD research project
BONGANI MAYOSI NATIONAL HEALTH SCHOLARS PROGRAMME APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Full applications must be completed online and all additional documents requested emailed to Ms Colleen Van Wyk at Colleen.Vanwyk@mrc.ac.za