Project Manager Beekeeping Value Chain Support, Dar Es Salaam Tanzania
Location: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, United Republic of
The Belgian development agency, Enabel, mobilises its resources and its expertise to eliminate poverty in the world. Enabel contributes to the efforts of the international community and works towards a society that provides present and future generations with sufficient resources to build a sustainable and fair world.
Its staff members in Brussels and overseas embody the commitment of the Belgian State and other development partners to international solidarity.
Enabel currently supports more than 200 cooperation projects and programmes in 18 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. In the future, ENabel’s efforts will focus on 14 partner countries as a result of a decision made by the Minister of Development Cooperation.
In view of the further development of its activities Enabel is currently looking for a (m/f):
Position: Project Manager Beekeeping Value Chain Support, Dar Es Salaam Tanzania
Enabel is operating in Tanzania as a public limited company under public law with a social purpose in accordance with article 7 (iii) of the General Agreement between The United Republic of Tanzania and The Kingdom of Belgium on Development Co-operation signed on 16th of October 2002, and the introduction Letter from the Embassy of Kingdom of Belgium N° 2018/023 signed on 25th January 2018 on the transformation from BTC into Enabel.
The values of respect, integrity, responsibility and accountability are fully subscribed by all Enabel staff, while respecting a strict neutrality and impartiality.
For the launching of our new project on beekeeping, with funds of the European Union, and operated in partnership with the International Trade Centre (ITC) based in Geneva, we are searching for anProject Manager for the regions of Tabora, Kigoma, Katavi, Singida, Shinyanga and Pemba Island.
Contract will be signed as soon as final approval on EU financing is obtained.
The intervention zones for the Action are the Regions of Tabora, Kigoma, Katavi, Singida, Shinyanga and Pemba Island.
The duration of the Action is 4 years with an inception phase of 6 months.
Selection will be finalized in close collaboration with ITC and representatives of The Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism and the Ministry of Industries and Trade.
The intervention is taking place under the 11th EDF National Indicative Programme for Tanzania (2014-2020) in which Sustainable Agriculture is a focal sector with the specific objective to ”enhance management of natural resources, including forests, and ecosystem services for sustainable agriculture development and climate change adaptation”. The European Union Action Document for Beekeeping Value Chain Support (TZ/FED/040-900)contributes to that objective and also to the Planet and Prosperity pillars.
The overall objective of the Action is enhancing the beekeeping industry for inclusive growth, poverty reduction and food security in Tanzania.
The specific objective is to ensure that high quality honey is produced in an environmentally sustainable manner leads to increased market penetration.
The programme will focus on 3 main outputs:
EO 1: Institutional capacity and enabling environment for beekeeping value chain actors is strengthened, while enhancing women’s empowerment (Enabel-Led).
EO 2: Capacities of beekeeping value chain actors improved and management of bee reserves and apiaries enhanced. (Enabel-Led).
EO 3: Market links and Trade of bee products strengthened (ITC-Led).
Under the hierarchical authority of the Representant Resident of Enabel in Tanzania, and in close collaboration with the ICT co-coordinator, the Intervention Manager manages the intervention in order to realize the specific objective of the intervention by covering all management domains.
Your tasks and duties will involve:
– You ead the Project Coordination Unit (PCU) set up by Enabel while ensure the coordination of the implementation with the associated partners;
– You are responsible for the leadership and strategic direction, including meeting quality standards in beekeeping delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders;
– You ensure that all management domains of the intervention are covered (content/scope, planning, budget, quality, etc.) You will plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned Beekeeping Project. This involves assessing the needs for upgrading the beekeeping value chain, designing projects, effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget;
– You coordinate the activities and ensure their execution, in compliance with set arrangements and procedures in order to achieve the intervention objectives;
– As Expert you provide all necessary technical inputs that contribute to the implementation of the intervention, and ensure that external expertise is mobilized on time when and where needed;
– You lead the change process and contribute to partner entity capacity development in order to contribute to the improvement of their organization, processes and systems and of their staff’s competences;
– As Knowledge manager you coordinate the learning process of how an intervention contributes to the development of a (sub)sector in order to ensure that the knowledge and/or results generated through this process are disseminated;
– You lead the team of the project, putting in place an appropriate organization in terms of roles and responsibilities at the intervention’s level, as well as training beekeeping project staff.
Specific Results Areas
For each region a regional approach will be developed for upgrading the regional value chains by improving the enabling environment and institutional capacity while looking for complementarity and synergy with private sector initiatives and ongoing programs in the different regions;
– Capacity building of all value chain actors and empowerment of beekeepers in the VC;
– Strengthening the capacity for improved provision of and access to adequate financial services and products for the different value chain actors;
– Provision of adequate non-financial services to the different value chain actors;
– Upgrading of capacities and facilities of national and regional institutes related to research, innovation, training and quality assurance;
– Knowledge management and communication within the value chain;
– Increasing quality honey production capacity;
– Improvement of supply chain for efficient aggregation of quality honey products;
– Sustainable management of beereserves and beeforage areas in protected areas and Village Forest Reserves;
– Improvement of the performance and of processing and packaging industries;
– Link of value chain development to market access and trade of beeproducts;
– Gender/youth: proactively developing activities that could lead to increased gender participation and gender equality as well as youth employment in the beekeeping activities
• Tanzanian nationality.
• Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics/Natural Resource Management or related field;
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in project management of international development programmes in field of Sustainable Forest Management or Natural Resources Management;
• Proven relevant experiences in agricultural value chain development interventions with also the components of access to value chain financing and the market;
• Proven experience in working with and coordinating public and private sector stakeholders to develop partnerships and related multi-stakeholders processes;
• Minimum one relevant professional experience outside your country of origin;
• An experience as team manager;
• Experience in several projects is an asset.
Required skills and knowledge
• In-depth knowledge of project management methodologies;
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop collaborative relation and partnerships, especially in a project with multiples implementation partners;
• Thorough knowledge in the field of beekeeping;
• Monitoring and evaluation competences;
• You are fluent in Kiswahili. Considering the international environment in which you work, good working knowledge of English is required.
Applicants are also required to commit to the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values).
Selection will involve testing, as well as interviews
We offer you
– A position with real responsibilities, in a multicultural work environment
– A competitive salary taking into account your experience,
Possibilities to learn and grow in the function
You will join an organization that has signed a charter on integrity and equity
Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. Recruitment is solely on the basis of capacity.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their application before 26th March 2021,;
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are interested in the position, please apply before 26th March 2021 via this portal.
We thank you in advance for your interest in our company.
Final date for application: 26th March 2021