BRAC is one of the world’s largest development organisation having extensive development programmes globally. BRAC’s vision is a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. We use an integrated model to change systems of inequity through social development programmes, humanitarian response, social enterprises, socially responsible investments, and a university.
We are a global leader in developing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings and were ranked the #1 NGO in the world for the last five years consecutively by NGO Advisor. We operate in 14 countries across Asia and Africa.
BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania through its project, Education, Empowerment and Life skills for Adolescent Girls and Young Children (EELAY) is seeking applications from competent, dynamic, and self-motivated individual to fill up the following position below..
Position (1): PROJECT MANAGER – EELAY
Job Location: COUNTRY OFFICE- DAR ES SALAAM
The Project Manager (PM) is responsible for the overall daily management of the Project including supervision of staff, planning, budgeting, implementation, and M&E.
The specific responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that all program activities are developed and implemented in accordance with the organization’s guidelines.
- Supporting the planning and implementation of workshops, trainings, and conferences.
- Capacity building of partners in support of planned and ongoing project activities.
- Supporting the Program Manager in identifying funding opportunities and developing funding proposals.
- Development of programs and partnerships in the field of adult literacy, technical and vocational education, non-formal and community education, etc.
- In charge of mapping, networking and integration of program partners and ensure that all partners are informed about the organization’s working modalities.
- Prepare training materials, guidelines and manuals for institutional capacity building based on partners demands, materials and equipment’s needs.
- Ensure the creation of networks and forums for Alternative/Adult Education stakeholders in the country.
- Support the establishment of a functional Management Information System (MIS) for partners
- Development of Terms of Reference and other supporting documents for research studies, consultative processes and other activities of the organization and its partners.
- Prepare quarterly, semi-annual, and annual workplans of the program and grant activities according to the organization’s guidelines.
- Ensure that program activities are implemented or executed in accordance with the approved work plans.
- Ensure that transfer of funds to partners is done appropriately for proper grant management.
- Ensure that all allocated resources are effectively utilized for the intended purpose
- Ensure that annual workplan and budgets are developed in line with the organization’s planning and budgeting guideline.
- Tasked with capacity building of program/project staff and implementing partners through identification of capacity gaps and plan capacity building programs according to the program needs.
Project Implementation/Partner Support
- Support to governmental and non-governmental partners in the implementation of programs and activities carried out in cooperation.
- Liaising with partners, consultants and other individuals/organizations for the development and implementation of the organization’s programs/activities.
- Participating in program visits to projects/partners for the development and ongoing monitoring of project activities.
- Ensure partner review and reflection events are held on a regular basis for experience sharing and learning.
- Participation in ajira meetings, workshops, trainings, etc., with partners and other organizations for the development, implementation and monitoring of activities.
- Ensure sustainability of program intervention through promoting mechanisms that promotes ownership and continuity.
- Compiling reports of meetings, workshops, trainings, etc.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Work with M& E unit to support program functions and ensure the utilization of M&E database as per agreed schedules
- Monitoring and evaluation of projects carried out by the organization in cooperation with M&E unit, using the developed tools.
- In charge of periodic technical backstopping to partners to ensure high quality program implementation.
- Conducting project reviews to track progress, and regularly assess project components, so as to measure achievements that can be effectively communicated to key stakeholders – including the Program Manager,
- Country Director, Regional Director, Board, Funders, and other constituents.
- In co-operation with the Finance personnel, monitor budgetary objectives, adjusting to project constraints based on financial analysis
- Design risk mitigation plan, optimizing and improving processes where necessary
- Overseeing project planning, monitoring project progress, and tracking project performance – ensuring all deadlines and short and long-term objectives are met.
- Overseeing and developing incoming and outgoing project documentation
Partnerships and Stakeholder Management
- Contribute to the development of proposals for various donors, managing the tender process from design to review
- Develop and manage co-operations and partnerships with non-governmental and governmental partners, providing advice to the Program Manager to the operationalization of those collaborations
- As requested, representing the Program Manager in meetings with partners and other organizations.
- As needed, representing the organization in diverse meetings with governmental and non-governmental partners.
- Maintain and effectively manage strategic partnerships and collaborate with implementing partners as per the signed agreements
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in relevant field preferably in project management. Combination of Education/Social Science with some courses in international development and personnel management required.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience with INGOs in development, education, or related field.
- A track record of project and program management with results oriented, experience to work with WB, NORAD, LEGO Foundation, USAID, EU, DFID, and other relevant donors an added advantage.
- An understanding of the education sector in Tanzania, and ability to understand AEP from a needs and demand perspective.
- Strong English competency.
- Excellent analytical, planning, and organizational skills.
- Understanding of alternative/adult education and development issues in Tanzania, regionally, and globally
- Excellent understanding of project development, implementation, monitoring and reporting
- Project experience of working with Civil Society and governmental partners
- Experience in conducting capacity development measures for different groups of stakeholders
- An effective public speaker, able to communicate to external Alternative/Adult education stakeholders and communicate a clear vision to motivate a small team to deliver that vision.
- Excellent, clear, and high-quality report writing, with an analytical mind and attention to detail.
- Able to use Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to capture, report and communicate complex data and ideas.
- Confidence to ask for help from BRAC’s international teams and comfort with assessing mistakes and learning from them.
- Ability to work in a fast and complex environment with stakeholders from multiple cultural backgrounds and with different levels of skills and English language ability.
- Must be able to embrace cultural relativism and avoid subjective assessments to remain respectful and mindful of the value all stakeholders have to offer at all times.
How to apply:
If you feel you are the right match for the above-mentioned position, please apply by sending your CV and cover letter through email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject “Project Manager-EELAY”.
The application deadline is 24.02.2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
BRAC Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and is against all forms of exploitation, discrimination, and harassment at the workplace.