POSITION: Production Manager
REPORTS TO: Chief Operations Officer/Head Of Production
LOCATION: Dar es Salaam
UBONGO is Africa’s leading producer of kids’ edutainment. As a non-profit social enterprise, we create fun, localised and multi-platform educational content that helps kids learn, and leverage their learning to change their lives. Ubongo reaches millions of families across Africa through accessible technologies like TV, radio and mobile phones. Our show’s Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me currently air in 31 countries across Africa, in Swahili, English, French, and Kinyarwanda. We are currently adapting the shows to even more languages including Kikuyu, Luo, Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, and Twi. This is a great time to join an organisation that’s rapidly growing across the continent, and work with a creative and impact-driven team committed to reaching as many families in Africa with life-changing edutainment.
We are looking for a Production Manager. Working at Ubongo won’t be easy, but it will challenge and excite you with lots of responsibilities, plenty of fun, and give you the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of kids every day.
We’re looking for a dynamic, creative and flexible Production Manager to improve our production processes and show management. You’ll work closely with our COO to manage content and teams.
1. Owning and leading an efficient and effective production system Main Activities:
- Create new production workflow system if and when needed
- Managing production schedules, workflows and timelines in collaboration with production co-ordinators and COO
- Doing whatever is necessary to ensure that everything runs smoothly and production gets completed on time!
2. Oversee content progress from pre-production, audio, animation to broadcast readiness Main Activities:
- Oversee quality control of content (working with coordinators making sure content is reviewed and approved by them before moving next stage)
- Assisting with production when needed – brainstorming stories, editing scripts, translation, etc.
- Facilitate content to broadcast and adaptation when needed
- Facilitate meetings and communication with production coordinators
3. Capacity and team building for production coordinators Main Activities:
- Weekly check ins with production coordinators to understand their needs
4. Production team health Main Activities:
- Conflict resolution between coordinators and other members of production team
- Feedback to Chief Operating Officer: problems, resolutions, steps taken, new ideas, i.e. daily/bi weekly progress as scheduled.
TO BE A MATCH, YOU’LL NEED TO BE:
- Be fluent in written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Have an Undergraduate degree in business, management, media or a related field
- Have experience managing teams, ajira timelines and working understanding of budgets
- Be Very IT literate and comfortable using web 2.0 tools for project and budget management (we use Google Drive, Asana and Quickbooks extensively)
- Demonstrable leadership skills
- Have familiarity with East African media and broadcast industries
- Have a can-do attitude and readiness to learn on the job as we create an innovative new educational service
- Have a passion for UBONGO’s vision of using media to transform education in East Africa
- Be a persistent but empathetic pusher. We’ve got to get things DONE.
- Good at dealing with ambiguity and able to figure things out for yourself.
- Willing to speak up for what’s right, when you see wrong, or when you think there might be a better way.
- Honest, trustworthy, transparent and conscientious.
- Someone who loves kids. They’re why we do what we do. They’re running around our office all the time. Our kids’ music and videos will become part of your life (and constantly stuck in your head).
- Be willing to wear many hats!
Phew! You made it through that. The good thing is that there are also perks, like delicious healthy lunch at the office, health insurance, and you get to watch cartoons at work.