Work station: Bagamoyo
Apply by: February 5th 2021
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a qualified candidate to fill a vacant position of Lab Technician to support research work at the IHI Insectary in Bagamoyo under the The TranSMIT (Transmission from submicroscopic malaria in Tanzania) project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate all activities associated with rearing and maintenance of gambiae s.s (Ifakara) for the TranSMIT project.
- Ensure there are adequate numbers of gambiae s.s (Ifakara) mosquitoes for mosquito experimental infections for the TranSMIT project and other projects as well.
- Closely work with other technicians within the insectary to ensure proper maintenance of mosquito colonies and adequate availability of mosquito numbers for
- Attend weekly insectary meetings and provide summary
- Execute daily work instructions received from the supervisor in a timely
- Conduct any other activities deemed as necessary within the framework of the project and upon direction of the Principal Investigator of
Qualification and Experience
- Holder of diploma in medical laboratory, clinical medicine and health laboratory
- Relevant experience of working within a research
- Experience of developing and following laboratory
- Previous experience of working with live insects.
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of malaria vector biology
- Ability to achieve set objectives independent of day-day
- Ability to work as an integral and cooperative member of a multi-disciplinary, multi-national research
- Adaptable and able to work under different hot and humid conditions (insectary).
- Adhere to IHI core
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
All application subject lines should include: LAB TECHNICIAN – INSECTARY
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P. o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
The deadline for this application is February 5th 2021.