Responsible and accountable for overall operational performance, service quality, compliance and control environment of the Trade Operations unit through leading a team of staff to ensure efficient delivery of targeted results across dimensions of service delivery and process control responsibilities.
The role involves significant interaction with products and client segment business units as well as supporting strategic correspondent bank relationships.
- Develop Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), for performance monitoring and quality measurement purposes, pertaining to the Trade Operations and monitor the achievements of individuals on periodic basis.
- Define and execute Trade Operation strategy to support the overall business strategies.
- Closely monitor transactions and ensure accuracy MIS including controlling income leakages.
- Ensure optimal operating model which supports efficient procedures, client issue/query resolution and service delivery which proactively addresses internal Business and Support Function requirements.
- Develop & implement Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with internal departments/ units to achieve improvements in turnaround time (TAT) with respect to processing transactions for the respective divisions/departments.
- Work closely with other departments of the Bank to enhance operational efficiency and ensure client experience is at all times seamless through all trade finance delivery channels.
- Support business partners in identifying other business opportunities through developing innovative and customized solutions with regards to trade financing services and operations.
- Ensure the existence of adequate and robust processes and controls (automated/ manual) to ensure compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Monitor and assess the Trade Business Operations by reviewing daily exception reports and discussing significant matters with the stakeholders.
- Evaluate existing as well as new products/ services and provide recommendations on ways to improve the effectiveness/ efficiency of the transactions related to the same.
- Provide professional direction/advice on all trade finance related matters within the unit/Bank.
- Coordinate compilation of relevant MIS on periodic basis for Business units and Management.
- Ensure system and quality enhancements by monitoring the respective activities and processes implemented, and by keeping abreast with new methodologies and practices.
- Manage all aspects of risk, including monitoring performance of trade operations to ensure minimal losses to the bank by keeping errors and operational risks under control.
- Work closely with Internal Audit /Compliance/Operational Risk units to identify and agree the key risk parameters for consideration during audit planning, ensure the monitoring and resolution within agreed timeframe and adequately address all Audit exceptions
- Manage the processing of all Trade transactions undertaken within a stringent operational framework in line with procedural manuals and policies of the bank without operational loss.
- Review and approve processed transactions prior to release (incl. but not limited to Export Letters of Credit, Import Letters of Credit, Documentary Collection, Bills Avalizations, Guarantees, Standby Letters of Credits and Trade Loans).
- Reporting risk events if any for RCCR report.
- Keep the stakeholders informed of any new development on trade finance products that might affect the business.
Skills and Knowledge
- Business understanding of Trade Finance products and their operation, working with correspondent banks, Anti-money laundering laws, policies and procedures, UCP Rules –The Uniform Customs and Practice for Documentary Credit, URDG Rules-Uniform Rules for Demand Guarantee, ISBP Rules-International Standard Banking Practices, URR Rules-Uniform Rule for Bank to Bank Reimbursement, ISP 98-International Standby Practices Rules and SWIFT Operations.
- Knowledge in structuring specific solutions for specific transactions
- Ability to train and develop Staff.
- Ability to communicate with Management and transfer knowledge or provide recommendations of critical issues related to Trade Operations.
- Broad knowledge of all aspects of Risk, Credit, Regulatory & Legal relevant to Trade Finance products & solutions.
- A background in operation metrics and well-versed in operating procedures and process maps.
- Effective leadership, communication and decision making skills.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Finance, International Trade Finance or equivalent.
- Certification in International Trade and Finance (CITF/ IFC) and/or Certified Documentary Credit Specialist (CDS) is desirable.
- At least Six (6) years’ experience in banking operations with special emphasis in Trade Finance operations’ services and a minimum of three (3) years should be in a relevant managerial position.
- Prior experience in defining service level benchmarks/ targets and their periodic monitoring
- Demonstrate experience and knowledge of robust trade finance product procedures
NMB Bank Plc is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 14 working days of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
“NMB Bank Plc does not charge any fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it”.
Application Deadline: 15th December 2020