About HJFMRI Tanzania Program
The Walter Reed Program Tanzania (WRP-T) is a collaborative effort that supports PEPFAR-funded HIV prevention and treatment activities in the Southern Highlands and within the Tanzania People’s Defense Forces (TPDF). HJF Medical Research International, Inc Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is a local non-profit that has supported these efforts since 2004 for the Walter Reed Army institute of Research (WRAIR). PEPFAR activities are conducted in close collaboration with the Tanzania Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children; and the President’s Office of the Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG), through the Regional and Council Health Management Teams.
HJFMRI-T provides care and treatment to people affected by HIV/AIDS, and has been actively involved in HIV and AIDS programming, providing resources, personnel, and services to the Southern Highlands Zone. The program has expanded from supporting the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital to becoming a hub for anti-retroviral treatment in the zone; to community support through decentralized services, with the overall objective of implementing research, clinical HIV, prevention, care, and treatment services. HJFMRI-T currently focuses specifically on four regions in the Southern Highlands zone, namely Mbeya, Rukwa, Katavi, Songwe and Ruvuma for VMMC services only. The program also supports TPDF to implement comprehensive HIV prevention care and treatment program in 21 sites throughout the country.
HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is seeking qualified candidates to fill the positions listed below:
Job Title : General Accountant
Location : Mbeya
Duration : 12 Months (with an option to renew based on the availability of funding and need)
HJFMRI-TZ seeks to hire a self-motivated and talented General Accountant. The purpose of this position is to ensure the accuracy of entries; timelines of payments and financial reporting to the program are done without delay. The position holder has to perform balance sheet reconciliations and provide advice and support to staff in financial management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare documents by scrutinizing and verifying that all required attachments have been supplied before documents are channeled for approval, posting, and payment process.
- Post entries into Quick Book daily.
- Ensure all entries posted into QuickBooks comply with the International Financial reporting standard, GAAP, and QuickBooks accounting and reporting manual.
- Initiating payments into the banking system or writing bank checks while ensuring segregation of duty is strictly for each paid document strictly observed between posting and payments.
- Ensure payments and all other processes comply with internal control policy and other policies.
- Prepare and submit all documents posted and paid through the bank to the senior accountants daily for QB check application and reconciliation purposes.
- Maintain the document workflow system and ensuring the document workflow template is fully updated with daily posting and payments made.
- Ensure all payments are correctly scanned and submitted to HQ.
- Reconcile financial discrepancies and errors as reported by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Answer accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policies and regulations.
- Enforce internal policies to program staff, e.g., Training SOP, Travel advance policy, Mpesa policy, and other program policies.
- Prepare financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends, as directed by the Senior Accountant and/or Accounting Manager.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Prepare the monthly payroll entry for review by the Senior Accountant.
- Prepare monthly closing schedules for review by Senior Accountant.
- Reconcile bank accounts and clears any discrepancies in the balances by researching and analyzing the account information.
- Maintain and reconcile petty cash accounts on a monthly basis to be reviewed by the Senior Accountant
- Manage timesheets and make the follow-up. Where necessary, scanned them to HQ.
- Manage statutory deductions, NSSF, PPF, and PAYE Files monthly.
- Work with other program staff to understand program activities and appreciate the existing linkage with finance.
- Take the initiative to understand budget preparation, implementation, and monitoring process and the program’s overall financial management.
- Work while observing the Professional Code of Conduct (PICCO). Professional behavior, Integrity, Competence, Confidentiality, and Objectivity. The general accountant is directly obligated to report any misconduct observed or heard against these codes to the immediate supervisor or the appropriate reporting channel.
- Undertake other assignments assigned by the senior accountant, accounting manager, and Senior Finance Director.
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or relevant field. CPA/ACCA is an added advantage.
- Deadline-oriented, Reporting Research Results, SFAS Rules, Time Management, and Data Entry Management.
- Experience working in accounting with an international NGO, health-related NGO especially desirable.
- 1 -2 years of QuickBooks Enterprise or similar electronic accounting software experience
- Knowledge of the full accounting cycle.
- Highly proficient in Excel and Word applications.
- High level of deductive reasoning.
- Ability to problem-solve and take the initiative to resolve issues.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) in English and Swahili.
- Exceptional follow-through skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
HOW TO APPLY
Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to the Human Resources and Administration Manager, P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya, or sent through e-mail to email@example.com
NOTE: To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. “CVs should not include any reference to marital status, birthplace, or tribal or religious affiliations. Any CVs containing this information will not be considered for employment”. Applications that are hand-delivered will not be accepted.
The deadline for submitting the application is December 31, 2020. Those who do not meet the minimum requirements, as detailed in the job description above, will not be considered.