As the front line technical team member, the PO will Implement the coffee value chain activities in the field organizing farmers training’s e.g., demonstrations, field days, farmers meeting etc. promoting technologies and good agricultural practices and participate in the strengthening the management cooperatives, linking the farmers and their organization with financial institutions.
Project: Smallholder Coffee Development Project (SCDP)
Duty Station: DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania
Reports to: Project Manager
Project Period: 1st of May 2020 – 31st April 2024
Subject Line: SCDP – Project Officer
BRAC is one of the world’s largest development organization having extensive development programs globally. BRAC’s vision is a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. We use an integrated model to change systems of inequity through social development programmes, humanitarian response, social enterprises, socially responsible investments and a university. We are a global leader in developing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings and were ranked the #1 NGO in the world for the last five years consecutively by NGO Advisor. We operate in 14countries across Asia and Africa.
The Agriculture Project Officer will support on the design and implementation of Smallholder Coffee Development Project (SCDP) and in the establishment of partnerships with local NGOs, farmer Organizations, Farmer cooperatives and government stakeholders. The PO will work closely with Project Manager and other actors in the agriculture value chain to strengthen coffee cooperatives to be the key enablers and providers of support services that will increased production, processing and trade of coffee produced by smallholders; and stimulate trade-led economic growth by strengthening competitiveness of smallholder coffee producers, promoting investments and jobs creation along the coffee value chain.
- Support implementing partners in establishing and functionalizing marketing groups of smallholder farmers
- In coordination with implementing partners establish and functionalize agro dealers and provide business skill training for private service providers.
- Support the coordination and implementation of all assigned project activities as outlined in the implementation plan and annual plans in line with SCDP program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Monitor and report any challenges and/or gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules.
- Assist partners and Project Implementation Team in their efforts to reflect on project experiences.
- Support collaboration, integration and accountability between SCDP underlying ToC and with external stakeholders through coordinating project evaluation activities and assisting partners to collect and analyze project data per specified mechanisms and tools.
- Collaborate with local partner(s) to prepare reports per established reporting schedule.
- Complete project documentation for assigned activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practices.
- Consider gender integration in targeting, planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of activities.
- Collaborate with SCDP implementing partners in supporting peer-based farmer to farmer approach/Lead farmer’s knowledge sharing, demonstration plots and learning sessions in inclusive and sustainable development of the coffee value chain for enhanced incomes and improved nutrition status of smallholder farmers.
- Provide technical support for the establishment and functionality of livelihoods groups’ livelihoods pathway selection, IGA groups and business plan development.
- Promote and implement farmers saving groups, supporting the successful establishment of Village Savings and Loan Association (VSLA) groups, identification, training and launching Village Community Banks (VICOBA).
- Closely support implementing partners in implementation and follow up of agricultural response geared to helping households improve nutrition and strengthen farming system resilience Coordinate field-based impact assessment for post-harvest assessments.
- Proactively work with project manager and country teams to participate in fundraising initiatives, donor identification/mapping, engagement and designing project proposal to create strong pipeline
- Bachelor degree in Agricultural economics and Agribusiness, Applied Agricultural Extension, General Agriculture or related field with at least 5 years of relevant and proven working experience in coffee value chain.
- Computer literate and conversant with the Microsoft packages
- Training, facilitation and report writing skills;
- Excellent in events planning and organizing skills;
- Monitoring and evaluation skills;
- High degree of working/managing consortium.
- Awareness and sensitivity regarding gender issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- This position is for Tanzanian nationality applicants only.
- Women with the stated qualifications are highly encouraged to apply.
- Other experiences Additional knowledge on the following skills will be an added advantage
- Farm Management;
- Agricultural Marketing;
- Business Planning;
- Project Management for Agricultural Professionals.
Terms of employment
Six months of probation prior to signing contract
Two years contract and renewable based on the project cycle and staff performance. Deadline for the application is 10th of April 2020 not later than 13.00 pm. If you meet the set criteria, please send your cover letter and CV.
How to apply:
If you feel you are the right match for above mentioned position, please apply by sending your CV and cover letter to HRD. BRAC Tanzania Finance Limited, Plot #2329, Block-H, Mbezi Beach, and P.O. Box 105213. Dar es Salaam or through email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject “Project Officer ”.
Application deadline is 10.04.2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
BRAC Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and is against all forms of Exploitation,
discrimination and harassment at work place.