Serengeti Breweries Limited (SBL) is a fully integrated beverage business in Diageo Africa (supply and demand for beer and spirits) It is a subsidiary of East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL), the largest business unit in Diageo Africa and the second largest listed company on the NSE in Kenya. SBL operates exclusively in Tanzania and is the second largest beer company with a market share of around 20%.
SBL was incorporated in 1988 as Associated Breweries Limited and changed its name to Serengeti Breweries Limited in 2002, and commenced commercial operations in 1996 with one brewery in Dar es Salaam. 51% of the company was acquired by EABL in October 2010 and has three breweries located in Dar es Salaam, Mwanza and Moshi.
SBL flagship brand is Serengeti Premium Lager. Other brands in the portfolio include Tusker Lager, Guinness, Kibo Gold, Pilsner and Senator. Headquartered in Dar es Salaam, SBL is also the distributor of several global Diageo international renowned spirits brands such as Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, Gordon’s, Bailey’s and Captain Morgan.
Scope of role
Positively influencing the sales drivers to deliver the businesses volume growth ambitions is critical in realizing the SBL vision.
The competitor environment has greatly changed and caused a huge shift on business operational landscape. This will require a shift in our TBA strategic approach to the Customer and creating amazing relationship platforms to win at Retail. Outlets are starting to have increasingly professional management structures with the emergence of groups and chains taking control of key outlets and accounts.
The overall Regulatory environment has equally changed hence posing a clear change in the way we approach Retail with much emphasis on off trade segment. Thinking beyond our conventional Channel.
The above calls for a structured approach in customer management of the retail trade to ensure that our strategies are aligned with customer needs and delivers on the SBL vision.
The role is to develop brilliant Integrated Business plans for the country and in the clusters that exist. To lead CPAM for effective championing and driving excellent execution of the plans and actively support business performance in close collaboration with key Diageo stakeholders and distributor teams.
- Cuts across the whole business dealing directly with all Functions-Sales, Marketing, Finance, Operations and Procurement.
- The role is responsible for activities in the Tanzania market for all Beer and Spirits;
- Stewardship of the customer marketing capability and development
- Key accounts both on and off trade.
- Steward’s execution of the total EABL BTL & A&P (Advertising & Promotion) budget in Tanzania
- Leadership Responsibilities and Decision Making Rights
- People Management
- To lead, Direct, Motivate, Train and Coach Customer Marketing team.
- Setting and monitoring clear performance objectives for all team members.
- Lead and implement Global sales capability programs as recommended by Africa Customer Marketing Leadership team
- Business Strategy alignment and influence
- Development of sales and BTL marketing strategies and objectives into retail segment plans
- Influence and develop medium/long term trade segment strategy.
- Influence and direct customer strategy for PR.
- Implement and develop appropriate space planning systems.
- Assume a pivotal role in Demand forecasting.
- Commercial Planning
- Champion the Commercial Planning process.
- Develop and co-ordinate segment Management Initiatives.
- Monitoring, evaluating and advising on Brand/segment volume, trends and dynamics.
- Manage 3rd party merchandising agency and continuously ensure review of standards as per trade needs.
- Manage trade research agency relationships and recommend ad hoc research requirements to brand/activities by segment.
- Price and profit management.
- Manage NPD critical path for sales sign-off.
- Measure and report on the sales fundamentals of Quality, Distribution, Price, Promotion and Persuasion.
- Develop and co-ordinate customized promotions by segment and major customers.
- Develop and maintain leading edge POS resources.
- Development and implementation of cycle brief programme.
- Development of techniques to actively monitor competitor activity.
- Development of trade strategy review documents.
- Trade Research interpretation and development of corrective action plans through Monthly National Commercial Score card and Divisional Commercial Score cards
- Information management for the Sales team.
Joined up Business Planning, Commercial planning and coordination of all trade and BTL (Below the Line) activities across the business.
Trade and Category strategy development, entrenchment in the commercial planning process.
Merchandise / POS (Point of Sale) identification, placement co-ordination, design and procurement.
Sales driver programs development and execution
Stewardship of the measurement and evaluation of programs executed in trade
Qualifications and experience required
- Bachelor’s Degree (Graduate).
- Commercially astute and experience in Demand (Sales, Customer marketing and Marketing).
- Key Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Effective Coaching and feedback orientation
- Training and development
- Team building and motivation
- Good communicator (written, oral and presentation)
- High level of commercial acumen
- Financial and planning skills
- Administration/time management
- Budgetary and cost control
- Problem solving and analysis
- Influencing skills
- High degree of systems literacy
Previously demonstrated success in Sales, Marketing or Customer Marketing ideal.
Management experience is essential.
At least 6 – 10 years commercial (sales) role and brand management experience is an required
Project management knowledge will be an added advantage.
Barriers to success in role
Inability or dislike for tight deadlines and high outcome – oriented business environment
Low stakeholder engagement or influence
Inability to hold people accountable
Inability to communicate with influence
Worker Type :
Dar es Salaam
Job Posting Start Date :