Afya Plus is a local Non-Governmental Organization registered under NGOs Act no.24 of 2002 in Tanzania. Afya Plus is an affiliate of IntraHealth International Inc, a not-for-profit organization headquartered in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA, with more than 40 years of experience in over 100 countries in health systems strengthening and service delivery. As a local affiliate, Afya Plus brings a deep understanding of the country context and offers a route towards local self-reliance, working to be a key partner of the Government of Tanzania (GoT). Afya Plus envisions a community with quality health care services for everyone, achieved by strengthening the quality and accessibility of Tanzania’s health care system, working in partnership with the GoT, civil society organizations, for-profit firms and other key stakeholders to support improved service delivery outcomes in the country. Afya Plus is in the Tohara Plus project consortium led by IntraHealth International that supports the GoT to stregthen and accelerate the scale-up of Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) for HIV prevention for maximum public health impact with funding support from the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Afya Plus is soliciting applications from excellent candidates to fill the following two Management Positions based in Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania.
SUMMARY OF ROLE:
The Executive Director has ultimate responsibility for Afya Plus’s strategy, performance, growth, and reputation. S/he oversees all aspects of the business to ensure technical and operational excellence, strategic organizational visibility, risk mitigation, quality deliverables, and client/funder and donor satisfaction, consistent with technical, programmatic and contractual standards and requirements. In partnership with the Board of Directors (BoD), s/he oversees the design, development and implementation of the organizational strategic and business plans and activities in support of growth, diversification and impact. S/he provides technical assistance and advice in her/his areas of technical expertise. The Executive Director is responsible for the day-to-day management and operations of Afya Plus, ensuring compliance with all applicable policies, standards, rules, regulations and legal requirements of clients, funders and the Government of Tanzania (GoT). S/he will represent Afya Plus and its interests to donors, GoT officials, other collaborating agencies, organizations, and stakeholders in Tanzania. S/he builds and maintains active relationships with key stakeholders from the government, donor, private and non-governmental sectors. S/he models Afya Plus core values. S/he will lead, manage and supervise staff and teams. The Executive Director is supervised by the Chairperson of the Board and provides quarterly performance and financial reports to the Board (e.g. progress of strategic and business plans, spending against revenue projections, audit).
- Lead the development of strategies for achieving organizational excellence, in collaboration with the BoD and staff.
- Be responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing in a timely and accurate manner all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Oversee the Afya Plus portfolio and technical and operational program implementation to achieve expected results in a timely manner, identifying related obstacles and risks and implement strategies to overcome them. Provide direct technical assistance and support for selected HIV/health programming, health workforce/health systems strengthening, data quality and use, and related technical interventions and activities.
- Oversee the finance, contracts, administration and human resource functions, ensuring sound fiscal, administrative, human resource and procurement policies, procedures and practices are in place and in compliance with client/funder/donor rules and regulations and Tanzania legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure fiscal integrity of Afya Plus, which will include but not be limited to submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Lead strategic planning and business development activities to generate revenue, growth and impact through existing and new products and services, in collaboration with the BoD and staff.
- Contribute to revenue growth of Afya Plus by leading/supporting business development efforts through capture activities, gathering market intelligence, negotiating teaming/pre-teaming arrangements, and writing (or providing inputs for) draft bids/proposals, among others.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with existing and new stakeholders, donors, partners and clients, in line with the strategic plan.
- Ensure strategic visibility of Afya Plus to donors and clients, highlighting technical and programmatic innovations, strengths and successes.
- An advanced degree in public health, business, international development or related field; clinical health experience preferred. A qualification in Business Management will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 12 years of experience managing and implementing public health projects with a focus on HIV and/or health workforce/ health systems/health services development and strengthening. VMMC program experience will be viewed favorably.
- Successful candidates will have demonstrated success in managing and growing a business portfolio with primary focus on diversification of stakeholders and donor agencies to include private organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in working collaboratively with public and private sectors, and civil society organizations.
- Excellent program management skills including strong analytical skills, use of data to drive programmatic decisions, and experience in strategic, operational and program planning and budgeting.
- Excellent skills in leading and fostering high performing and motivated teams able to deliver results on time and on budget, meeting or exceeding funder/client expectations.
- Enthusiasm for fostering relationships with a broad network of external stakeholders.
- Proven experience in developing and securing new business opportunities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including expert presentation skills, experience in writing technical proposals and professional articles and abstracts for international, regional and national audiences.
- Tanzanian citizenship is required.
Application letter with detailed CV, indicating daytime contact telephone numbers and email address, as well as names and contact information of three referees should be submitted to the following email address: email@example.com indicating the job you are applying for in the Subject line.
The closing date for receiving applications is December 18th, 2019. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Afya Plus seeks to fill these two positions with the right persons as soon as possible. Succesful candidates will be required to report one month after receiving an employment offer.