Job Title: Programme Assistant (Only candidates with authorisation to work in Tanzania are eligible to apply)
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority and direct supervision of the Head and Representative of UNESCO Dar es Salaam Office, the Programme Assistant is tasked with the delivery of a range of office, financial and administrative activities in support of projects/programmes delivery.
Under this post, the Programme Assistant is responsible for retrieving pertinent information, assembling and collating information and contributing to the logistical and administrative preparation of events.The post also extracts, follows up, tracks and reports of budgetary information and expenditures. In this context, the incumbent:
- Aids Programme Specialists in the search, location, compilation, review and update of information and data used in the development of documents, work plans and budgets; enter and update approved work plan/budget data in the electronic system, ensure accuracy and compliance with approved amounts; run reports from the automated systems in order to assist in the preparation of regular and ad hoc budgetary/- financial updates, reports, statistics and/or projections for use and scrutiny by supervisor and responsible managers.
- Prepare a variety of administrative documentation using examples or templates; initiate administrative procedures and ensure follow-up; review requests for payments against contractual obligations in the financial system, and provide information on payment status and remaining obligations to supervisor(s).
- Organize meetings, events and workshops by booking venues, equipment and providing other related logistical support; identify, review for style, format and accuracy, and assemble documents and pertinent information in support of such events and meetings; collating information and data for presentations; initiating procedures for associated services required; provide administrative support during the event; collect minutes and decisions.
- Initiate travel authorizations in conjunction with meetings, workshops, conferences or sessions; make travel arrangements; tracks and prepare itinerary and agenda; prepare associated documentation; facilitate the travels of visiting officials by providing information and preparing the necessary documentation.
- Receive, analyse, sort, register and distribute correspondence, documents and process requests for data and reports; determine the importance and priority of documents received and follows-up required; draft correspondence as well as emails/faxes; review, proofread and edit out-going correspondence according to standard practices and protocol, and to ensure proper grammar, spelling and punctuation; recommend changes/corrections; and provide informal translations of documents.
- Respond to enquiries and follows-up on routine outstanding matters; provide information to supervisor(s) and colleagues; make appointments, receive visitors and take telephone calls, answering enquiries and/or referring them to the applicable specialist. As directed, liaises with HQ services to obtain additional information/clarification. Record, update and retrieve information, documentation and data from the Office/ Bureau filing systems.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
Planning and organizing
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework
Completed secondary, technical or vocational school.
Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in administrative and/or secretarial tasks in programme support services.
Flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities. Capacity to work under pressure.
Good organizational, coordination and filing skills.
Discretion and capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with people of different cultural backgrounds.
Good interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to draft correspondence and correct documents.
Good IT skills and good knowledge of standard office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc),
Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written) and Swahili.
Specialized training/certification in secretarial, administrative, finance or related fields.
Relevant experience within the UN System or international organizations.
Relevant professional training in a social sciences field, such as project management, economics, finance, accounting or administration. LANGUAGES
Good knowledge in another local language.
An assessment exercise may be used in the evaluation of candidates
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit their application letter and CV in English via email to
email@example.com or hand deliver in sealed envelope marked “Programme Assistant” to.The Head and Representative, UNESCO Dar es Salaam Office, 59 Mtwara Crescent, Oysterbay, Dar es Salaam,Tanzania no later than 08 November 2019 midnight (EAT).
Please note that only selected candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in working with UNESCO.
Note that this post is for local recruitment only. Only candidates with authorization to work in the country are eligible to apply.
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars but paid in local currency. Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance and pension plan. More details can be found on the ICSC Website.
Deadline: 08 November 2019
Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.