Position: Innovation Manager
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Job Description :
Serengeti Breweries Limited (SBL) is a fully integrated beverage business in Diageo Africa (supply and demand for beer and spirits) It is a subsidiary of East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL), the largest business unit in Diageo Africa and the second largest listed company on the NSE in Kenya. SBL operates exclusively in Tanzania and is the second largest beer company with a market share of around 20%. SBL was incorporated in 1988 as Associated Breweries Limited and changed its name to Serengeti Breweries Limited in 2002, and commenced commercial operations in 1996 with one brewery in Dar es Salaam. 51% of the company was acquired by EABL in October 2010 and has three breweries located in Dar es Salaam, Mwanza and Moshi. SBL flagship brand is Serengeti Premium Lager. Other brands in the portfolio include Tusker Lager, Guinness, Kibo Gold, Pilsner and Senator. Headquartered in Dar es Salaam, SBL is also the distributor of several global Diageo international renowned spirits brands such as Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, Gordon’s, Bailey’s and Captain Morgan.
Scope of the role
To deliver breakthrough business performance on the brand category while building the equity and future value of the category To develop a brand strategy that supports delivery of the marketing strategy and that ensures that the brand is firmly established among the most aspirational category in Tanzania.
Purpose of the role
This is an extraordinary opportunity to work and shape the future of SBL, one of the leading organizations in Tanzania. You will embrace this challenge & demonstrate a burning passion for creative, innovative thinking balanced with a black-belt in launch execution. A key part of this role is to ensure the use of creative excellence, disciplined project leadership and management in crafting new opportunities and brands from multiple start points. The Innovation Manager will lead projects designed to deliver against the local market’s programme, priorities and strategy as well as influencing the business with the scalability of projects.
Leadership Responsibilities and Decision Making Rights
The role will require:
Inspiring leadership and influencing skills both within project teams, with global teams and with senior leaders around the business.
Great consumer and customer understanding to generate insights on consumer behaviour that would deliver successful innovations uptake and great commercial execution.
Strong team leadership to deliver brilliant execution through agency partners for both above-the-line and below-the-line work to deliver the innovations in an accessible way that meets consumer needs and is profitable to the business
- Product Innovation: Trough a natural Through a natural instinct of what consumers want, lead the development of Concepts, Design & Communications for both new brand launches as well as brand extensions on existing brands. Complete this through the GATE process, influencing & inspiring the organisation behind your vision.
- Project management: leading the development of multi innovation projects at once, you will be an expert in project management & mastering a range of project management tools will deliver all projects on time & within budget.
- World-Class Execution Launches: Working in partnership with the Supply brand change managers and Commercialization Managers to develop and commercialize the product innovation. Will require clear setting the execution standards and goals for launches, delivering & executing full consumer & commercial launches flawlessly, to time & to budget. This will include new brand launches as well as rolling out proven innovations from other markets.
- Influencing & Inspiring; It is critical that you can effectively influence & inspire the cross-functional project team to deliver the Ambition. This means genuine relationships, tough conversations when needed & above all to be a Master of inspiring the business to the opportunity the innovation has for the business in the future.
- Performance management: Through a strong understating of the business and understanding the relative commercial levers required to deliver the performance ambitions you will consistently measure and intervene to make sure all projects deliver to target. Timely escalations and course correction based on judgement from the performance tracking.
Key Relationships: SBL Executive team, Marketing team, Technical and brand change team, Finance team, Consumer research team, Sales and commercial team, Procurement team, Corporate Affairs team, Supply chain team, Quality and Brand assurance team, 3rd party agencies
Qualifications and experience required
- You have 5+ years of consumer marketing, innovation or commercial experience & have a proven track record of amazing results.
- You will demonstrate meticulous project management, strong marketing judgement & commercial grounding to ensure delivery of plans.
- You will have strong entrepreneurial flair to both identify new opportunities & navigate your project challenges through the complex business landscape.
- A great communicator, your build strong interpersonal networks within the business & have the ability to manage stakeholders in a clear concise manner.
- You are comfortable managing complexity with a demonstrated track record of managing an agenda of multiple priorities & stakeholders, juggling multiple projects & complex project timeline.
- You demonstrate drive, delivery & determination. Resilience is key! The ideal candidate be result oriented with a track record of consistently delivering strong performance.
- Line management & leadership. Leading, inspiring & coaching cross functional team members and 3rd party agencies.
Qualifications: Educated to Graduate level in a related field. Project Management certification is an added advantage.
Barriers to success in role
- Inability to successfully manage projects with precision
- Inability to manage many stakeholders both senior and junior
- Inability to influence, inspire & coach teams & operate brilliantly in a matrix organisation • Inability to deal with ambiguity or prioritize.
- Inability to find solutions to overcome challenges to the project • Inability to stay driven and connected to the goal of the project
Worker Type : Regular
Primary Location: Dar es Salaam
Job Posting Start Date : 2019-10-16-07:00
As a global leader in beverage alcohol, our 200+ brands are part of everyday celebrations in over 180 countries. Our ambition? We want to be one of the best performing, most trusted and respected consumer products companies in the world.
Ever since Arthur Guinness took out a 9,000 year lease on a Dublin brewery, some 250 years ago, we became a business that is defined by the character of the people who work here. It took immense character from Alexander Walker to convince the captains of every ship in the port of Glasgow to take crates of Johnnie Walker to the four corners of the world. Today, nothing’s changed.
We’re proud to be more than 30,000 talented people. While they make our iconic brands ever stronger around the world, we help them go further than they thought possible. In fact, we’re helping to define their career growth through stretching roles and exciting development opportunities.
Diageo is where you’ll find a wide variety of personalities, experiences and perspectives, wherever you’re based in the world. It makes for a stimulating and rewarding working environment, where everyone can flourish.
TO APPLY CLICK HERE!