|Ifakara Health Institute|
Position: Assistant Demographer (1 Post)
Reports to: Demography Coordinator/Project leader (PL)
Work station: Rufiji and Kibiti
Apply by: October 31, 2019
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for an Assistant Demographer to fill a vacant position in the Broad One Health EndectocideBased Malaria Intervention in Africa (Bohemia) project. The project will evaluate the potential of Ivermectin on reducing malaria transmission. The Assistant Demographer will assist in supervising all census activities in Rufiji and Kibiti.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the project activities are implemented according to the work plan and budget.
- Conduct field visits up to 60% of time to monitor project activities.
- Ensure all needed data is collected and processed and use the lesson learnt from results of analyzed data to continually improve the project performance.
- Assist in providing technical expertise and support on census activities to field staff.
- Plan and manage the day to day implementation of census field activities to ensure that each round is completed in time.
- Chair field meetings and monitor field work progress.
- Ensure the availability of necessary equipment for data collection.
- Responsible for safe keeping, maintenance and return of project equipment rent to the field staff.
- Ensure the study is done according to the research ethical guidelines.
- Retain high level of public and community support and trust, e.g. in relation to research ethics and effective communication.
- Respond to queries, concerns and issues raised by the Supervisors/Coordinator /Principal Investigator/Investigators.
- Supervise field interviewers, field supervisors and perform data quality checks.
- Contribute to project reporting and progress as assigned by Supervisor from time to time.
- Work as liaison officer between field team and project investigators.
- Undertake any other tasks that the Supervisors shall reasonably require from time to time.
Qualification and Experience
- A Diploma or a Bachelor degree from recognized institution/university/college in demography,
- Information Systems, statistics/biostatistics and epidemiology, Social Science, public health, rural and community development or similar field.
- Experience in the following is needed; supervising staff, health project management including report writing, organizing and facilitating participatory trainings, working with rural communities, working with health workers and/or local government officials.
- Prior field experience in Health and Demographic Surveillance System will be an added advantage.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to work successfully under minimum supervision but also within a team.
- Good training and facilitation skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to develop working relationship with a wide range of people including project staff, communities, health providers and government leaders.
- Ability to solve problems and make decisions.
- Willingness and ability to work in a rural area.
- Strong computer knowledge in MS word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Fluent in Swahili, Literate in English.
- Numeracy and report writing skills.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to a successful candidate as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
The deadline for this application is 1700hrs on October 31, 2019. All e-mail application subject lines should read: ASSISTANT DEMOGRAPHER – BOHEMIA. Please, note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam