The University of Oslo (UiO), Norway, and Jimma University (JU), Ethiopia, have developed an online course — a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) — on How to Write a PhD proposal as part of the mobility and capacity-developing program NORPART: EXCEL SMART. It is funded by the NORPART: EXCEL SMART program and the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Oslo.
This online course is based on a Scientific Writing Workshop delivered by Dr. Jeanette Magnus and Prof. Anne Moen in Addis Abeba and Jimma under the NORHED: SACCADE program funded by NORAD.
The online course is open for registration on the FutureLearn platform (www.futurelearn.com) and runs for four weeks from May 27. You can join the course at any time throughout this four-week period, but we recommend that all participants start from Week 1. The course is free and available to participants all over the world as long as you have internet access.
What topics will you cover?
– Defining the research idea, writing a research statement with objective with sub questions
– Identifying and writing a literature summary and review
– Empirical, conceptual or theoretical foundations of a research study
– Research ethics, fraud and plagiarism in research
– Research design and methodological approaches
– Data collection strategies, sampling, instruments and biases
– Fieldwork and contingency planning
– How to organize your PhD project
Visit the FutureLearn platform (www.futurelearn.com) to enrol